Topic

Montbell down Jackets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell down Jackets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I'm looking at the Montbell "permafrost light" down jacket vs the "alpine light" down jacket.

Specs here:

Permafrost

Alpine

As far as I can tell, the difference is the shell material; both fill weights are listed as 4oz. The permafrost is a 30d windstopper fabric, while the alpine is 30d "ballistic" nylon. I'm not familiar with the difference, but the permafrost is $100 and 2.5 oz more.

I'd be using this in the cascades, so if the windstopper is considerably more water resistant, allowing it to be used as a belay jacket, it may be worth the extra cost and weight. Any thoughts?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

> allowing it to be used as a belay jacket

I just got one of the montbell ballistic shelled down jackets. Lovely bit of kit. If your experience of belaying is anything like mine, you want a tough as old boots jacket like my old Sierra Designs ski number. 1.4KG Big pockets with lots of down well protected by a nylon shell which resembles chainmail.

If you want it, it's yours for $60

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Or you could take your extra $100 and either buy Roger's jacket, or a Montbell Flatiron from Campsaver for $101, inc shipping. It's their alpine synthetic jacket at about 670g (about 22oz)

My experience is that my belay jacket (OR Chaos) is too heavy for hiking, and I prefer too take something lighter, and not so tough.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I have a synthetic belay jacket (OR Chaos) and a Patagonia micropuff pullover (the older, lighter style) but am looking for a lighter down jacket for hiking, skiing, and dry weather trips.

I'm aware of the advantages of synthetic, but there definitely are days where a down jacket would be just fine, esp. if it has some water resistance to the shell. I'm not planning on using this on thru-hikes, but more on shorter trips.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

> but am looking for a lighter down jacket for hiking, skiing, and dry weather trips.

I have two favorite light down jackets:

Patagonia Down Sweater (L) at 11.7 oz

Montbell Extremely Light Down Jacket (L) 6.1 oz

The Montbell has no pockets. Very minimalist and warm for the weight.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I just got a Montbell UL down inner jacket off gear swap and it does have pockets. It's a large, and it weighs a bit over 8oz. Very nicely made.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It's also worth considering the added durability gained by the 2.5oz. Do you want a belay jacket? Are you hard on your gear? Or are you looking for a superlight backpacking jacket?

Another question on Montbell Jackets. I remember hearing that they ran small. Is this still true? I'm a medium in virtually everything. Am I likely a medium in montbell? 5'10'', athletic, 140lbs.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Jack, the large is a snug fit on me, but I guess that's good for an inner jacket anyway. If youwant to wear anything else under it apart from a thin top, go for the large.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Thanks. Are we the same size? I assume so.

Nah, won't likely wear anything under it aside from a top of long underwear and sometimes a 100 weight fleece shirt.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

You look bigger in your photo. ;-)

I'm 6' 8" 200lb, maybe the medium after all if you are just using a baselayer under.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Jack, I am a medium in virtually everything. 6'1" and 160 pounds. I wear a medium in Montbell and definitely wouldn't want a large. I can easily wear a fleece layer underneath, and would be quite happy if it was slimmer around the body because I usually will be wearing with only a base layer. So go for a medium unless you are planning on doing multiple layers (plus base) underneath.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

ps. I am a similar build to you in your avatar… perhaps a touch slimmer but not much

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

> perhaps a touch slimmer

Miiiaaaaaooowwww!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Rog are you on heat? ;-)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hilarious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools