Topic

Simms Solar Sombrero?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Simms Solar Sombrero?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Locale: Northeast US

Has anyone ever heard of this hat? I went to my local fly fishing store today to check out some Tilley hats, and this hat was hanging nearby (for less than half the cost). I didn't have my scale, but it was definitely lighter than the Tilley LTM6. It felt a little flimsier and lacked ventilation, though, so I wouldn't spend for it unless I heard some good reviews.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Emmett,

Some things in life just work well, and the LTM6 is one of them.

I live in the desert and have and have owned dozens, upon dozens of hats. The Tilley is the best, hands down.

If it ever wears out, I will buy another. And when I die, I am going to bequeath it to my son. :)

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Nick,

Thanks for the endorsement. I actually bought a Tilley before my last post, but I was second guessing myself. This brings up another question – how loose should a Tilley hat be? They say two fingers… but that can mean a lot of things. I bought a 7 1/2, and I can fit two fingers underneath, but I really need to cram them in there. My hair is quite long right now, and someday I'm sure I'll cut it short again. I don't want a size that will be too loose when I have to get a trim, but I don't want it to be uncomfortable for my upcoming Long Trail thru hike.

Thanks!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am due for a haircut, and need to cram two fingers too. But I just did a three day hike and wore it for at least 12 hours a day, and forgot it was there, unless the wind picked up.

I wear it every day, and it cleans up perfectly in the washing machine. When I go to my son's track meets, he just scans the crowd and looks for my hat to see if I am there.

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Great to hear! I'm looking forward to tearing off the tags and making this hat my own!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools