Topic

Prototype suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Prototype suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hi, all-

I want to gain experience making sleeping bags, etc. My conundrum is that I already own a gazillion of bags and such.

My initial thought was to make a series of 30-40*F degree bags, since I could get the practice of making the bags while using less down (and less money!). But I've already got something like 4 bags in that range. Also have a 0*F and -40*F. Eventually I'll make a better winter bag. Maybe a 10*F? Like I said, I don't really need them, but I want to get better at making them.

So, what sorts of bags should I make to be cost effective yet functional? Have others in my situation basically made bags for the cost of materials and beer for friends? And/or should I stick with my "original" plan and make a series of summer bags? Do I just bite the bullet, buy the down, and make a colder weather bag?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I don't know the answer to any of your questions Brad, but if you need any field testers sign me up! ;)

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

Why don't you ask if people want you to make bags (or quilts) for them. I might be interested .

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I opened an old duvet with some broken quilting. I am using it to get the hang of working with down.

Perhaps sacrifice 1 of your bags? You'll learn the construction by taking it apart. Make a simple 1st project as a trial. You can always re-use (most of) the down.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I'd consider paying for a materials and your trouble for a lightweight summer quilt. I've seen some of your earlier work and I'm pretty impressed.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey, gang-
    Wow! That was kinda unexpected. Thanks for your interest! I'd like to sew up a few things before getting "demos" out there. My skills just aren't up to snuff yet.

I'm thinking maybe a really thin summer bag, 50 degree-ish, a 10-15* bag, and a subzero bag at this point. I might just sew up a bunch of patterns out of sheets, muslin and plastic to see what works. You know, maybe I should just make a few "fun" bags out of silnylon 2nds and synthetic fill. I'm trying to come up with a clean draft tube design along with the rest of the fun. I'll keep you posted!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Brad

> a few "fun" bags out of silnylon 2nds and synthetic fill.

Unless they are for below 20 F I am not sure about the 'fun' bit! Sweat bag.

Cheers

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Brad,
    Here is an idea for your 40-50* bag.
    I love the one I made.

I would use Momentum for the shell and 2.5 yards of pre-quilted insulation/ inner shell from Seattle Fabrics.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/insulations.html

The insulation is quilted to a taffeta, so you only need 1 top layer.

Just purchase 6 ounces of down and add it into the sewn-through quilted baffles.

Then sew the top layer on the outer edges.
    Now you have a very weather-proof bag that you wont need to use a bivy with when sleeping under a tarp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools