Topic

Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rob wil

@auradar

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)

just got this email. Some really good deals.

I've asked before here and looked around, and their stuff is heavy. But, I've ordered one of the tents for car camping and have really been impressed. Also, have heard good stuff about their gear (other than heavy).

I might bite the bullet and get their Lynx 2 tent. I know its heavy, but it should be a good quality tent. Its 5lbs 2 ozs and only $70. Need to do some more checking though. But thats seems to be a decent weight vs price ratio.

spring sale

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Good weight to price ratio would be getting a discounted Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight IMO.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

They have some good, although heavy gear, and it lasts well with Boy Scouts. And no other company comes close to the everyday discount they give Scout troops.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

For $70, you can get two (2) GoLite Poncho Tarps at SunnySports.com
    Very nice deal on a nice ultralight shelter for trips when no heavy rain is expected.
    I love mine. Regarding durability, it was tough enough for Andrew Skurka on a good part of his Great Western Loop, so perhaps tough for scouts.

rob wil

@auradar

>>Good weight to price ratio would be getting a discounted Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight IMO.

how do you get a discount? Do they have a scout direct?

rob wil

@auradar

>>For $70, you can get two (2) GoLite Poncho Tarps at SunnySports.com
    Very nice deal on a nice ultralight shelter for trips when no heavy rain is expected.

just checked it out. I really need a fully enclosed tent though.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Campmor usually has good deals. Not as cheap as Alps but not too bad considering it's also a solidly built tent.

rob wil

@auradar

okay, got cha.

The flashlight tent is $180 at 3lbs, 14oz, or $2.90 per oz

the Alps is $70 at 5lbs, 2 oz, or $0.85 per oz

Okay, thats the engineering nerd in me coming out. I can get a price per oz, but thats not really useful.

I'm just being cheap. I don't want a tent over $100, but I don't want it to weigh over 2 pounds either :)

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

That's one way to do the math. But I hardly think it's insightful as you assume a linear relationship, What those numbers indicate is that you are getting more tent for the dollar with Alps but that does not mean a better tent. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you have to spend more $ to save fewer ounces. Best to plot the price of many tents against their weights and look at the relationship. With just two points the Alps tent will of course look like a good deal. Hopefully some other forum members can expand our sample pool so we can see if we can get even less tent for the dollar….:)

Bottom line if price alone is your criteria then the Alps is likely your best bet. I likely would not of made any suggestion had the 100$ price limit been mentioned. I think that for the price the SD Clip Flashlight is a very good tent, lighter than the Alps, obviously not the lightest in the pool of tents, but also by far not the most expensive…you can spend 400+ for fancier things. It's also very durable, easy to set up thus fine for Scouts. For starting out it would be a good compromise and would provide you with several good years of use until you are more committed to the backpacking life. IMO given that you already have a heavy car camping tent…why get another one.

David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

> Bottom line if price alone is your criteria then the Alps is likely your best bet

Also true if your criteria are:
    – Floor space: AM 16% more than SD
    – Vestibule area: AM has 3x ! as much as SD, and each scouts gets their own.
    – Polyester fly, if sag bothers you
    – 2 doors (SD only has 1)
    – Standard gear loft and pockets (AM has them)
    – Repair swatches (AM has them)

If those were your criteria you would obviously choose the Alps over the SD.

Gotta focus on the intended use. Weight is not the only factor, nor necessarily the most important, so don't fixate on it. Imagine 2 muddy scouts stepping on eachother's gear because there is only 1 door, saggy wet nylon slapping their backs and faces, and their gear spilling out of a paltry vestibule into the rain.

AM's gear is awesome for scouts.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hey Rob,

If I remember correctly, doesn't your current tent weigh about the same as a couple of bricks? Go ahead and get the 5lb tent. It will still be a heap lighter than your current one, and sounds like it will keep you properly dry.

From your trip reports, it doesn't sound like you're going to stay home because it might rain. And for what it's worth, I'd be keen for you to keep posting those. I know they've inspired me to stop thinking that every trip has to be 4-5 days, and to just grab some gear and get out for a night with the kids.

Rod

rob wil

@auradar

my current tent wieght is 10 pounds. So going with this heavy tent is still a huge reduction. Also, I don't have to tote cold weather clothes so I probably could stand a heavier tent then others because of that. However, if we stay with this hobby I'm sure we'll end up in north GA some.

I'm still deciding though, i need to just do something. That SD tent does look nice though.

I was joking about the price per oz. I know that really isn't a good measurement.

The reason I thought this tent might be interesting to scouts is because it is a good quality (or should be) tent for under $100. When outfitting scouts, price is a concern. Right now I'm dealing with cub scouts and they don't do hiking. But I live in a very low economic area. When I start dealing with boy scouts and trying to get them into backpacking, the families in my area simply can't afford the pricey stuff. This is a good compromise and thought I would pass it on in case other leaders are in the same boat.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Rob, I have a brand new SD Clip Flashlight that I can sell you. It has been set up in the basement once, but never actually been used. I bought it on sale in '08 for $130, thinking it was a steal, so why not? But I have far too many tents, and this doesn't quite fit a niche in my arsenal. I can let you have it for $125 + shipping.

rob wil

@auradar

Gary,

thanks for the offer. I talked to the old lady last night about buying a tent, however, she said no. I have to buy a new pack and possibly a new bag. She says I have to do that first.

Right now I'm using my BIL's army ruck sack, but I need to get it back to him. He used it while in the service and its been all around the world, combat and training. He let me borrow it to see if we would like hiking. I think we decided we do so I need to get my own pack before I mess his up. I know he wants to keep it.

thanks again, I'll check back with you when I get ready to buy a tent and see if the offer still stands.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

No problem, Rob. The tent will be sitting there if you need it. You can just PM me if you like. Be sure to put "SD Flashlight" in the subject box, so I don't mistakenly delete it as spam. Good luck on your trip prepping.

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

The Mystique 2 is a Clip Flashlight look-a-like for half the price. http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringMystique.htm I have seen the Mystique 2 for $100 on Amazon, and $100 at the REI outlet (they call it the Comet). Scout Direct price is a buck or two less.

My Mystique 2 with rain fly, 1 tie out line, 6 aluminum stakes, Ziploc for stakes, thin plastic drop cloth, and poles (no stuff sacks) is 1970 g.

Mystique Pros:
    – Great weight for $100 double walled tent
    – 8' long
    – enough inside room with 2 people to sit-up, lay down w/o touching sides, bring in some gear
    – heavy condensation on the inside of the rain fly (South/Central TX camping), but inside room stays bone dry
    – 2 doors
    – easy to set up
    – 985 g / person (2 people) is a great (but not superior) rain/bug shelter weight
    – 1970 g for 1 person is a mediocre but acceptable rain/bug shelter weight (I solo a lot when out with the boys – YPT, ya know?)
    – 2 x vestibules big enough for small packs, gear, boots (a full size frame pack might not fit)
    – great ventilation if the rain fly doors are tied up
    – 12 nights in it now and no visible wear

Mystique Cons:
    – not free standing; requires stakes to put up (tough to drive stakes at Enchanted Rock)
    – rain pooled on the rain fly above feet requiring one tie out line and stake to remedy (little extra weight)
    – opening the rain fly with heavy condensation on it from the inside results in a couple drips of water on the arm opening it
    – top venting rain fly doesn't seem to do much for air flow when doors are zipped closed (but I've never seen a top venting rain fly actually improve air flow much anyway).
    – not good for star gazing even w/o the rain fly

Overall, I think the Mystique 2 is a great 2 man double walled budget light weight tent. I agree that a tarp tent, double rainbow, or clip flashlight would be a weight improvement but at significant cost.

acronym 6/7/2009 3:51 PM

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> I have to buy a new pack and possibly a new bag. She says I have to do that first.

You might want to take advantage of the Golite 40% sale (good to 6/12 – search for the coupon codes) like I did. With as much weight as you must be carrying with a 10 lb tent you should NOT get the Pinnacle. I'd assume the Odyssey is the only that would fit all your gear.

BTW, I'm on somewhat the same path as you. I think my first post here was regarding AM tents and that's when I learned I should really bite the bullet and get the lightest stuff I can straight off. Yes, I spent MUCH more for a Lunar Duo, but I'll likely use it forever (even solo). I was only looking for a 2-person since my son doesn't like to sleep alone. We already had 2 small tents that were fairly lightweight. I think that is how I ended up finding this forum!

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

"I have to buy a new pack and possibly a new bag. She says I have to do that first."

They got Kelty Redwings at REI outlet for about 50 bucks after the extra sale discount going on right now. This would be a great cheap starter pack.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Rob –

Give ScoutDirect a call. They have an amazing one time deal for scout units. In order to get gear into your hands for you to really check out, they give each unit a one time 'leader pro' purchase option. One time each unit can purchase a tent, a pack, and a sleeping bag at 60% off! Just got my package a week ago – pretty impressed with the gear so far, haven't had it out in the field yet. But for $300 buck I picked up 2 internal packs, a down bag, a syn bag, a pad, and a tent – if the gear lasts, looks like it should, than that's a heck of a deal!
    By the way, their pads have some pretty neat features – thicker than my Therma-rest pro, textured to resist slipping, brass valve interior, and some have dual valves.
    You may be able to take care of all your gear needs with one order! Give them a call – don't think you will be disappointed.
    Sarah

Jay Campbell

@gohawks

Locale: SE Iowa

I have had the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 1 and the Zephyr 2.

I thought both were great tents for the money.

The one man Zephyr is under 4 lbs and free standing.

The Zephyr 2 is free standing, has two doors, two vestibues, and under 5 lbs.

That being said temptation got the best of me and I just bought a tarptent rainbow.

You can also find the Alps Zephyr's on SAC sometimes for crazy good deals.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools