Topic

Outside Magazine’s guide to “ultra-light” backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Outside Magazine’s guide to “ultra-light” backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Locale: PNW

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/200905/ultralight-backpacking-gear.html

Thought you guys might enjoy this. Among their recommendations:
    15 oz stove
    21 oz cookset
    24 oz sleeping bag
    54.4 oz tent

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks Alli.

To be fair, it's not a bad list for someone new to lightweight. Plenty of Exos, Inov8 390, and Marmot Hydrogen owners here. And the tent is a two man (kinda) free-standing. Cookset and stove is overkill when you can have a small canister and 5oz greasepot.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Probably half the weight of whatever Backpacker magazine is recommending now.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

These guys are pathetic. Most of these items are certainly their advertisers' light items. The term "ultralight" is ridiculously misused as a catch phrase far too often. Too bad there's no place for a comment on the page.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

the stove and cook system should be lighter otherwise I could see a lightweight backpacker carrying the tent or anyone that can't wrap their head around a tarptent or tarp setup. my 2 person cook system weighs about 12oz, and my solo weighs 4.5oz… including the stove to pot to spork to lighter…..

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Locale: PNW

Sure, those three items are great. But a 21-ounce cookset? Like a previous poster said, you can just use a k-mart greasepot (mine weighs 3.625 ounces without the strainer), which costs $7. That's 1/10th of the price of the kit they mentioned. And it's even more bizarre because the Eta-Express is like a jetboil, it comes with a pot.

Maybe I'm annoyed because in my outside e-mail it was advertised as "world's lightest gear". No mention of tarps, alc stoves, or the NeoAir for dog's sake.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools