Topic

Low Cost/Light Tarps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Low Cost/Light Tarps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

After looking at the available gear reviews and a query on the various threads…I am still wondering if there is a solo size tarp with at least 6 tie-outs…without the poncho option…for around 6 ounces…and $40???

I looked at the Titanium Goat Bivy after reading about it here…and think that it works perfect for the money considering that it would be used for summer trips. Now I need to pair it with a tarp.

By the way…would anyone venture a guess as to how much extra warmth a bivy like that would add to a bag???

Thanks as always!

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Scott,

I’ve read in a number of places 5 deg F. In one place recently 10 deg F – though this seems to be reaching quite a bit. However, many months ago, I replied to a post like yours that was asking the same question. My reply simply “parroted” the 5 deg F info. Shortly after my reply, DrJ also replied. His reply began, IIRC, with a one word sentence, viz “Nope.” He went on to educate me that the real benefit of the bivy is in windy conditions.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Thanks Paul. Seems reasonable and also highly personal in the sense of how sensitive one is to temp. differences. The main reason I want one is for the precip. protection.

Do you or have you known anyone to use 3 mil plastic to tarp with? I want to try a tarp…but not drop $100 on my first one.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In the early 1970s I unsed a plastic tarp. My memory is that it was 4 mil. So long as you aren’t facing strong winds I would think 3mil should be ok, but you should over-rule my questional memory with comments from anyone who has had more recent experience.

The trick with plastic tarps is to avoid ripping it where tou tie it down. We would reinforce the tarp tie-downs with duct tape, and then we used small rubber balls combined with a wire holder which works something like

http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/

–Mark

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I don’t take it out in big storms, but 2 mil painters drop cloth will work to see if you like tarps.

I do not use tie outs or grommets. Sheetbend the corners. Anyplace else where you want a tie out put a plastic soft drink bottle cap on the underside of the plastic. Throw a clove hitch on top of the plastic around the bottle cap and you have a tie out. Any hole or puncture in the plastic creates a weak spot.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I’ve made tarps with 3 mil plastic. If you are interested in tarping you might buy Jardine’s tarp book, as it has some basic tarp info in it. There is one section there where it shows how to make a tarp out of 3 mil plastic. 3 mil is what Jardine recommends, since 4 mil is probably too heavy and 2 mil maybe not strong enough in high winds.

They are very simple to make, the easiest method is to use 4 sheet bends on the corners (these are surprisingly strong) and then you run a ridge line that the tarp drapes over. I made a 7×9 tarp out of 3 mil plastic and with guylines it weighed about 15 oz.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> Do you or have you known anyone to use 3 mil plastic to tarp with?

The first chapter in Ray Jardine’s The Ray-Way Tarp Book describes the “poly-tarp”, a 10×14 piece of 3-mil polyethylene plastic which was used to shelter four adults. (The 3-mil plastic was also used for ground sheets.) They tied a guyline to each corner with a sheet bend, and ran a line between two trees/poles for the ridgeline. This was in the Rockies high country, so I expect it can handle weather. I’ve been meaning to make one of these but haven’t been to the hardware store to buy the plastic yet. (I have a Ray-Way tarp kit waiting to be sewed, but haven’t found the time.)

Chris Harvey

@cch

There was a new Equinox Sil-nylon tarp on the garage sale forum at the Kifaru forums. The seller is asking $40.

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000355

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Silnylon is 65″ wide. buy 8 or 9 ft and sew on
    some tie outs by hand. Should cost $15-20 bucks.
    No need to hem if you are gentle with the fabric, by the time it frays the coating will
    be worn off.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah, David,
    and buy a $3.50 tube of automotive/marine silicone sealant (Duco) and glue the hems. Then you don’t have to worry about blow-out.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

I bought the $40 (new) garage sale one. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Seemed reasonable, and coupled with the Ti Goat bivy should have me covered for most all of my backpacking situations. The whole pre-fabed tie-outs is worth the extra $20 for me for convienence sake. One of these days I will be brave enough to actually make something!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

check out CAMPMOR

They have a good selection of silnylon tarps.

Lotsa sizes and options…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools