Topic

JMT in August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT in August

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Stanzione

@sstanzione

I am looking to Hike the JMT this year. My original partner flaked, but I have been wanting to complete it before I turn 30… next year!

I have never partnered up on BPL, but I am imagine compatibility is important, so here is a little about me and my plan…

I am a 29 years old, living in Southern Ca. and have been backpacking off and on for most my life. This trip has pushed me in to UL backpacking, but with a 40 lbs. pack I have been able to complete 20-25 miles days for 3 day trips. I have significantly dropped pack weight this year to help maintain 20-25 mile days for 9-11 days on the JMT.

I regularly backpack in the Sierras a couple times a year, mostly Mineral King area. My favorite trip is Mineral King (Franklin Lakes) to Whitney Portal in 3 days.

My plan is early to mid August (after Aug 2… my wedding anniv… the wife would kill me). 1-2 resupplies for a 9-11 day trip.

Let me know if you're interested!

-Steve

Steve Stanzione

@sstanzione

The plan is to start from the North…

Paul Spencer
    BPL Member

@bendbackpacker

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am also looking for a partner with my own post on here (just below yours). Let me know if you think our plans might work. I need to do it in the first half of August, however. I have family coming to visit I need to be back for.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Steve, I have permit space for 5 people leaving Tuolumne Meadows on Aug. 11th. There will be 4 of starting there, and 2 dropping off at Devils Postpile. We will be staying in Mammoth on the 10th and taking YARTS to TM on the 11th. Our tentative schedule is to finish in 11 nights, with 13 – 19 mile days, depending on passes and quality camp/swim spots along the way. We may try for 10 nights depending on how everyone is feeling and weather etc. I travel fairly light, but not ultralight. My total weight with water and 6 days food is between 28 – 30 lbs. I have done the whole trail in segments over the years, but this will be the longest I have gone to date. I did a section of Ropers' Sierra High Route last year and will probably pursue more cross country hiking in the years to come. Let me know if you are interested in using the extra permit space. Robert.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools