Topic

Water at Wayne National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Water at Wayne National Forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I was wondering if anyone has camped/backpacked in Ohio's Wayne National Forest and drank water from on-site streams and ponds.

I ask because on page 2 of the downloadable brochure at http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/recreation_sites/camping.html , it states…

"We do not recommend filtering water in streams and ponds due to the high metal content in our water from past mining."

A few questions come to mind:

1.) Is that statement a public relations tactic to discourage folks from remaining on-site long term?

2.) If not, is the water really so poisoned that it is untreatable for human consumption?

3.) Which begs the question… is it a National Forest because the federal government believed it was the right thing to do? Or is it a National Forest because past mining has made the land unprofitable (real-estate, farming, shopping mall, etc.)?

Thanks,

Nick

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio

I have backpacked there several times and always carried all my water. There are lots of active oil and gas wells, tanks, and lines all through the area and some leaks out. When I see a nice creek with an oil sheen on the surface, I really would rather not drink that except in an emergency. There are several places on the Wildcat Hollow trail where I have got strong oil odors.

John Taylor
    BPL Member

@jtaylor

Locale: Shenandoah

My experience is the same as Timothy's. My wife and I lived in Ohio in the 90's and went there often. There are numerous old wells and other industrial sites around. These sites litterally have oil pooling on the ground.

We found a sulfer-like coating around one site while tracking a fox.

I would not drink the water.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools