Topic

Low Sodium Trail Recipe For The Week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Low Sodium Trail Recipe For The Week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I was bored and playing around today with my week’s menus, when I cam across a recipe that called for low sodium “soy” sauce..so I googled that.
    I really didn’t think it would work-but wow, it did! :D

Low Sodium “Soy Sauce”:

2 Tbl Very Low Sodium Beef Bouillon (or use 4 packets of Herb Ox brand LS Beef boullion)
    2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp Molasses
    1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
    couple grinds Black Pepper
    1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
    3/4 cup Water

In small sauce pan, combine and boil gently uncovered about 5 minutes or til mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in refrigerator. Stir before using.

Low Sodium Rice Delight:

2 Tbl Olive Oil
    1 cup Long Grain Rice
    1/2 cup Orzo Or Other Small Pasta (I used hispanic pasta that comes in tiny spaghetti bits)
    1 1/2 cups Water
    2 cups very low sodium chicken broth
    1 tsp dried onion
    1/2 tso granulated garlic
    1 tsp Parsley
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce Substitute

1/2 lb natural ground beef
    4 large mushrooms, chopped

In a seperate pan cook the meat and mushrooms till well done. Drain grease if needed.

Sauté rice and pasta in oil about 2 minutes or until pasta is golden brown. Add meat, water, broth and spices and soy sauce substitute, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir every couple minutes-in the last 5 minutes you may need to turn the heat down.

For drying for trail use:
    Spread on lined trays. Dry till brittle dry at 135*. Seal well when cool. Food vac bags are ideal here. Or use freezer bags. Store in freezer till trip time. In camp add equal amounts boiling water to dry food and let sit for 10 minutes or so in a cozy.(ie. 1 cup food, 1 cup water.) A serving would be 1-2 cups rehydrated. Depending on appetite!

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Woo!!! Thanks yet again. You’ve probably already noticed that even “low sodium soy sauce” bought commercially is EXTREMELY full of sodium for those of us who can’t have the stuff.

I used to be able to buy some truly low sodium stuff (65 mg/Tbs), but its no longer available and my supply is almost gone — so you’re timing is great.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yeah, no kidding! I was shocked that “light” was still 550-800 mg a serving-of ONE tbl!
    I will warn that the faux soy sauce does jel up in the fridge, but it melts back fine.
    I am going to take it with me on my next trip in a small bottle :-D

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools