Topic

Lunar Duo questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lunar Duo questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Being a newbie at backpacking, I thought I should learn how experienced LD users use their tent and deal with certain things. Here's a ton of questions I've come up with:

1. It seems like the vestibule vents could allow in blowing rain. Do you do anything for this in downpours?
    2. Do you fold it then roll it up or just keep folding it?
    3. Do you bother to put it back in its sack first or just put it into your pack?
    4. Any tips on setting up in a downpour to minimize water inside?
    4A. How about packing it up in a downpour?
    5. It seems the side guylines need to be staked at a certain location to insure the vestibule is taut (simple geometry). Do you just eyeball where you think the stakes should go and then move them as needed once you zip the vestibule? This seems like it may cause an issue on rocky ground.
    6. The end guys also have somewhat limited adjustment. Have you replaced them with longer ones?
    7. If you have made any self-tensioning guys for it, how did you end up attaching them to the standard 6 original guylines points? I had bought some Triptease and shockcord to make some.
    8. Am I correct in thinking the sliding hook on the side guys is to catch one of the loops on the vestibule corner to hold it down? Does that really work in high winds (seems to slide pretty easy)?
    9. What's the point of the velcro at the vestibule corner? I assume you must either slide the vestibule up so you can affix it from the inside or do it outside and then slide it up while you crawl back in.

Whew. I think that is it for now. Thanks for any advice to help me enjoy the new tent!

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Hello Michael,

1. I haven't had this issue with the vents, and can't really picture it happening. Even if moisture were coming into the vents, I think it would most likely not get through the inner mesh. Keep in mind there are severe conditions to which this tent is simply not particularly well suited.

Thoughtful site selection can greatly increase comfort in windy weather. Check out:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/single_wall_shelters_condensation_factors_tips.html?forum_thread_id=8253&disable_pagination=1

2. To stuff or fold is ultimately about personal preference, and can be the subject of endless debate. Much more important is proper care such as storing the tent dry and clean, minimizing exposure to UV rays, etc.

3. Depends on personal preference and packing style.

4. Set up as quickly as possible, try to prevent water from getting onto the bathtub floor. Even if things do get wet, pretty easy to wipe the inside down once set up. Packing up? Quicker the better, but do have a plan for packing it wet alongside your other gear.

5, 6. The provided adjustable guylines should be adequate with some practice. Can be tricky in rocky areas, but this is true with all staking- again, thoughtful site selection, and always helps to have a few different staking options up your sleeve. A great article:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ditch_your_stakes.html

7. Here are some ideas:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19526

8. Pretty sure you have it right. Seems to work fine.

9. Velcro seems to take some pressure off the zipper, and allow for partial vestibule coverage with the zipper fully open. I just reach under the vestibule to make sure it is properly attached once inside.

Enjoy the tent!

James

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Thanks, James. I was thinking all the LD users must have gone packing for the weekend.

>7. Here are some ideas:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19526

You'll note I posted at the end of that thread. :) I was mostly wondering how they attached the new guys. Dan Cunningham made 6 for his LD, but wasn't sure if they were for the 6 extra guy points, which is quite simple, or the original 2 sides and 4 corners (attach onto the originals?).

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Michael,

Ah yes, now I see your name on the thread! Glad you found it. If memory serves, Dan is on another trip following his interrupted thru hike, but may be able to provide some insight when he returns. My guess would be they are for the extra guy points, but I could be mistaken.

James

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I got some experience with #4 on my first trip. Even though rain wasn't in the forecast, we had a decent thundershower as we hit the campsite.

Still curious about the self tensioning guylines though. Wonder if Dan is back yet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools