Topic

Which packs should I be looking at?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which packs should I be looking at?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm just getting started backpacking (first overnight in a week) and need some direction to narrow my choices down given my relevant info and desires below. I know most recommend getting all other gear first and then the pack, but it could take some time to get there and what do you do in the meantime? I do have access to an old pack that will get me by on an overnight though I'm not certain it will be very comfortable. This shows a 20" CCF roll next to it. It has a top and bottom compartment (note open horizontal zipper), which means that roll would not fit on the inside, and 4 small side pockets.
    Photobucket

Here's the back:
    Photobucket
    Anyway, I can suffer with it for 1 or 2 night trips, but I'm planning a trip of up to 9 nights in GSMNP in mid-July. I was hoping to carry all my food (I eat pretty light) but if that's not practical I'll do 2 smaller loops rather than 1 big one. I may end that way anyway since some things I'd like to see like Ramsey Cascades are in-out trails. Regardless, I'd need to carry at least 4 days of food.

The heavy items I have so far:
    Lunar Duo (41 oz)
    Sub Kilo bag (32 oz)
    POE X-Lite Thermo pad (26 oz)

I don't have any clothes yet really – struck out finding nylon stuff at Goodwill. I understand Champion C9 stuff at Target isn't too bad. I'll use just a basic vinyl poncho for raingear.

Cook gear will be a Super Cat stove, an aluminum pot, and Fozzils flatware (likely just cup and spoon – eat from pot or freezer bags).

I plan to use a couple liter bottles in side pockets rather than a bladder so it would be nice if those were accessible while wearing the pack. I may get a waist pack to hold those, camera, etc. Frontier Pro + bleach to treat water.

Most of my trips will be short 1-2 nights, but I'll have some up to a week (this potential 10-day one will be very rare). If most of you don't take a week's worth of food at once, I'll learn to resupply. However, on some trips I'll need to carry some extra gear for family members so I'll still need some room to spare on occasion.

Let me also state that I don't have any intention of going SUL or even UL totally – just light as I can while still being comfy and inexpensive. Thus, I'd like any suggestions to be under 3 lbs if possible and under $125 (which almost certainly means used, closeouts, etc.) Are there any backpacks that get close to this?

BTW, I'm 5'9", 160 lbs. My wife claims my torso is ~21". I know my inseam is ~30".

Thank you for any advice and recommendations.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools