Topic

Men’s or women’s Sub Kilo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Men’s or women’s Sub Kilo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm a newbie and thought I'd get a decent bag for a good price and noticed the women's long is essentially the same size as the reg men's (1" wider hip girth). Since I gather they are fairly liberally rated, would I be better off getting the women's bag at 3 more oz for a claimed 15* vs 20*?

How will these work for a side sleeper? The only thing I don't like is I believe I'd prefer it was a right zip since I flip from side to side but favor sleeping on my right side.

How would these compare to the Campmor 20* down bag at the same price?

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

The womens bag will be tighter across the shoulders, wider across the hips, and have a little extra down.

The subkilo bag has very nice soft-silky shell and lining, decent quality down (750 I think) and is overall a good bag.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Maybe their specs are wrong. Both list shoulder girth at 57 (women's reg is 56). The hips are 1" wider on the women's.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Michael, where are you finding Sub Kilos?

REI discontinued those a while ago.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

REI-outlet. In another thread, they told someone else they were getting more in soon. They claim on the site they can be backordered. They were not on the site at all yesterday. I'm trying to figure out which one I want.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Being that REI has an excellent return policy, I would order both and see which one fits best in person, then send the other back.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

I ordered one during their recent sale from the rei-outlet. Looks like they sold out of them. The bag is discontinued. I think the Halo replaces the sub-kilo so I doubt you will see it back on their website again.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

This is what the other guy told me:
    About 2 days ago it did get sold out. However, I contacted the REI customer service and they told be they would be restocking it Thursday (today) as they would be receiving a new order. And sure enough, it is back up today.
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000021

Indeed they were no longer listed on the site Wed, but Thur they were back up again though listed as can be backordered.

Will these work for a side sleeper?

I take it the return policy works for the outlet store also?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

They will work for a side sleeper but the men's is probably closer to a 25 degree bag and I am a warm sleeper.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes you can side sleep in them. They are a tight cut though. On the other hand, they make a great quilt in warmer temps! I use my ladies version often for this.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Yeah, the return policy for the outlet should be the same, or similar. You can always call a store or check on the website to be sure.

Thanks to this thread, I actually just ordered one for my wife last night + I had a 20% off one-time-use coupon to apply so it came to just under $100 w/ tax (in WA). I also ordered a M's reg mostly out of curiosity and to compare weight. It says they are backordered for 2-3 weeks.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Wish the 20% off from a couple weeks back was still active. Anyway, I selected men's reg for me, women's long for wife (if I can get her interested or possibly me if not) and women's reg for my son.

When turning over, do you normally turn within the bag or just take the bag with you as you roll? I'd assume the later since I saw comments about BA bags not being good for side sleepers because of the pad sleeve.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The Kilo rolls with you – the pad won't move (in theory…lol!)

In my BA bag I have I can roll around inside as the bag is massive in size, the Kilo is a snug fit.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Just got the email the 3 backordered Sub Kilo bags have now shipped.

I note they are no longer listed on the outlet site again so maybe they are finally all gone.

It will be nice to have a "small" bag. Must give some kudos to the Alps Mountaineering compression sack. I had gotten a medium a while back to get free shipping with an order. Even though it says an extra large is needed to stuff a "normal" sleeping bag, I was able (after about 10 minutes) to get my car camping bag in it twice with no ripped seams for my first backpacking trip last weekend.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

I picked mine up today from REI and I am rather pleased upon initial inspection:

Women's REI Sub-Kilo +15 = 1 lb. 12.8 oz.

Men's REI Sub-Kilo +20 = 1 lb. 12.3 oz.

The silly strappy compression sacks are 2.5 oz. each and will be replaced by .2 oz. cuben stuff sacks from http://www.zpacks.com

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

FYI my wife and I tried the REI Sub Kilo bags on a Sierra winter trip in 45F day/15F night, and we had plenty of warm layers to wear inside or over the bag, excellent pad insulation underneath and we were in a warm Hilleberg winter tent. Those bags are definitely less warm then their ratings would suggest, and we found them tight/constricting, and we're on the slim side. Promptly returned them.

Heard same comments about the Sub Kilo from a few local backpackers as well.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am a fan of the sub kilo- I think they are one of the best values for the money if purchased at the sale price.
    I picked up 2, one for my wife and one for my son for about $90 each, new. A light weight quality down bag for that money is a real find.
    Yes, REI is more than generous with their temperature ratings as most all bag manufacturers are, except the very best bags- but if you know that already and don't try and force the bag colder than its really should be, they are a great deal.
    The Sub kilo has the same basic dimensions as my WM UltraLite; snug, but fits well.
    My wife loves her bag- I don't think she will ever be sleeping in it at 15*F so no problem there. My son took his Iglooing with me this year and at 28*F it worked great.
    The gear review on the site is Here Sub Kilo Review

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Rick have sub kilo, Rick like. Rick like JrB quilt better but$$$! Rick laugh at man in woman bag but $$$!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools