Topic

Car-less backpacking from NYC

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Jim MacDiarmid BPL Member
PostedMay 21, 2009 at 12:59 pm

As I might have to relocate to New York from San Francisco, which would entail giving up the car, I'm wondering what backpacking options are available to me.

I've just started doing a little research, and I've found a couple trails where you can take the train and walk fairly easily to a trailhead, and some buses as well.

Anybody here have any suggestions? Even if I could ride the train with my bike and then ride 10-15 miles to the trail head from there. (Assuming there's a way to chain it up when I get there)

There's also carshare or renting, but it's no fun to pay $115/day to have a car that just sits there for the 3 days your backpacking. Maybe taking the train and renting the car wherever I end up, where it might be cheaper?

Thanks for any advice.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Loading...