Topic

Did I Just Eat a Block of Salt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Did I Just Eat a Block of Salt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I recently returned from another trip into the snows of the Cascades where I packed along some dinners made by Backpacker's Pantry. They were on sale so I thought why not. Well, while I was eating the Chicken Chipotle dinner I gave the nutrition lable a glance and yeses yisters yingle yangle there was nearly 2000 mg of sodium per serving! Because I ate the whole thing that meant I consumed nearly 4000 mg! Since I seldom if ever use salt much in my home cooking, I can't even begin to visualize what 4000 mg of salt looks like. So would it be a handful…a double handful?

While perusing the new issue of Washington Trails Association's magazine I ran across an article by Laurie Ann Marche on dehydrating food. The recipies mostly listed "salt and pepper to taste", while one specified 1/2 teaspoon. So how many mg sodium are we talking about here?

I don't have high blood pressure or any other health problems – probably because I avoid salt – but it seems like the freeze-dried industry is out to kill me. Yikes!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools