Topic

Sewing an underquilt directly into the hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing an underquilt directly into the hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Taylor

@jtcreative

I've just ordered a bunch of the Texsport Hobo Hammocks that are on sale a places like SportsmansGuide. It's about $15 for 2 hammocks and claims 11oz per Hammock+hanging kit.

What I am thinking of doing is ordering a couple layers of Primaloft Sport 3oz and sewing in the insulation directly into the hammock, then adding a thin layer of silnylon to the outside.

Does anyone have any feedback or additional ideas for me?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Jesse,

Ask this question at HammockForums.net

I am in the process of getting off the ground and those folks are as nice as the BPL faily here. They are totally dialed into hammocks though. Great source of info.

Remember, whatever you add to the hammock, has to have th ability to give and stretch with your movements and load. A hammock is a dynamic, not static thing.

Good luck!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

JustJeff, one of hammockforums.net's founders, has made several down-insulated hammocks which can be found on hammockforums or his personal site tothewoods.net.

This should get you started on the concept on insulated hammocks.

Don't use Sil on the underside: due to lack of breathability you will be asking for condensation problems. Use a DWR breathable material like DWR ripstop, or a driducks oncho, or a neatsheet.

Show us pics when you're finished!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools