Topic

Sleeping bag modified with Cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sleeping bag modified with Cuben

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

I had always wanted to try out the Gossamer Gear Night Light sleeping bag but found this Sierra Designs Wicked Light on sale for just over $100.00 a few months ago and figured I would take a shot at modifying it. Had some extra 0.33 Cuben from a few years ago that I figured would make a nice double layer sleeve to hold the BA Clearview pad in place and thought two layers might also help a little bit in keeping the heat in since there isn't any insulation in the bottom portion of the main body now. The older version of the 45 degree sleeping bag started out at 22.3 oz. I shifted all the down away from the bottom portion and the tubes plumped up very nice around 2.5" I then cut out and sewed closed the bottom section leaving the last three sections of the foot intact. Two of the bottom sections needed a little extra fill so I added about 0.90 extra ounces of 850 FP Goose Down to two of the three chambers. I bought a new lighter weight zipper to replace the one on the bag but looking at all the work it would have taken to remove and replace the zipper along with the zipper stiffner with something slightly lighter just seemed like to big a task to save about 0.5 to 1.0 oz. So, I didn't do it.
    I really think I might be able to take this bag to mid 30's but I might be dreaming ??? Total weight after all the bottom mods and also cutting off the straps and replacing the neck seal cording with lighter weight cording only dropped the finished weight to 19.1 oz. but it sure looks like it is going to be warmer now.
    Too many things I have made lately … Time to quit making things and get out there and start testing them to see if they are better then before I started modifying them!!
    Kevin
    Sleeping bag 1
    Sleeping bag open
    Sleeping bag back side

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools