Topic

TRT-Shelter Options:

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedMay 18, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Any body out there hike the TRT in early July? I need help on deciding between a tarp or tarp/tent? Reasons: Pesky Mosquitoes, Afternoon Thunderstorms, Altitude, Summer Heat and Privacy?

-Jay

PostedMay 18, 2009 at 7:55 pm

In typical snow years the meadows in July would still be wet enough for mosquitoes. This year though… maybe not.

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedMay 19, 2009 at 7:05 am

I thru-hiked the TRT in Aug 2002 and we still had plenty of skeeters in August in several places, like the Desolation Wilderness.

Call the TRTA at 775-298-0012. They can tell you about this year.

Visit their website at http://www.tahoerimtrail.org

PostedMay 19, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Maybe i'll see ya out there Jay! Im hiking the TRT staring on July 5th. My goal is to finish the trail in under five days. As of now my shelter is looking like=
-Oware Catbird Tarp 1
-Titaniun Goat Ptarmigan bivy w/ full net hood
I like the bivy+tarp combo because you have more versitility when it comes time to setting up camp.
It's more stealth
Offers great protection from the elements & critters
Generally a much lighter system
With a tarptent you only get one setup.
A little heavier system
Less versitility
Lake Tahoe in July is generally dry, something like 0.26"
of precip.
and temps are ideal for going lighter-with highs in the upper 70's and lows in the low/mid 40's.
With that in mind im hoping to sleep most nights under the stars in my bivy.
Enjoy your hike on the TRT!

Aaron

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedMay 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hey Aaron, I am on the fence between the GG SpinnTwinn 9.5oz with a MLD Serenity Bug Shelter 10oz. or a older Dancing Light Gear TarpTent 24oz….Me, Tony Wong, Jeremy Pendry and Cameron Kennedy are all starting on July 2..We thinks we can finish by the 10th or maybe sooner. Hope to see ya on the TRT!!! We are starting at Mt. Rose going clockwise—Where are you starting from????

-Jay

Aaron Sorensen BPL Member
PostedMay 19, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Hey Jay,
Why not just bring the GG and get there $30 bug canopy?

It seems $30 would be well worth leaving 7 ounces behind???

PostedMay 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Sounds like a great trip with some fellow BPLers! Im most likely doing the majority of the trail solo, only meeting up and hiking with my fiance through Desolation Wilderness. I plan on starting at the Kingsbury South Trailhead and hiking clockwise. Since i have my BPW pretty low i'll probably carry my food.
Why the MLD Serenity Bug Shelter instead of a bivy?
Later

Aaron

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedMay 19, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Hey Aaron and Aaron-WOW!, I am not fan of bivies (Bear Coffin)–It has to do with my size..6"3 at 235..I personally like room to roam so to speak…I had a custom Serenity Shelter made from MLD that fits my size with some extra room to stretch-out plus a little room for a water bottle and a platy pillow… The MLD shelter has a zipper which a personal preference of mine..(Simply zip the bugs away at night) I am sure we will cross paths!!!! One thing I really like about the TRT is all resupply options with the all stores some what close….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...