Topic

Hammerhead Sled

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Hammerhead Sled

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alan Garber

@altadude

First, I thought it was made by the same company which makes the tele-bindings……..

What is all the fuss about a 200 something dollar sled that weighs 8 lbs?

I have made a number of sleds out of kids plastic ones–each perhaps cost $20 all inclusive (ropes,plastic pipes and carabiners)………They all work just fine………….

I just don’t get it…….

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

It seems as though it is designed for pleasure, IE going down hills and carving sweeping powder turns. I may be incorrect, but I do not believe it is really designed to be used as a pulk, which as I gathered from your post, is what you are implying. FWIW

-Chad

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This sled was in the Herrington Christmas catalog and at least one catalog that I got but don’t remember the name of. The sled price was $299.95. The kicker is that the “Ski Runners” for the back legs cost an extra $69.95. I called and asked if it would work without the Ski runners and got a reluctant – not very well. The catalog listed the weight as 10 pounds.

So to really be able to use the sled you will pay about $370 plus shipping etc.

This is the catalog picture and looks like it would be a lot of fun:

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’d say this is a lot more fun and more amenable for use as a pulk (only 6 pounds, as opposed to the Hammerhead’s 10, plus inflatable). I’m not sure who the manufacturer is; it’s sold by Mont-Bell here in Japan. Expensive, but from the pictures of people literally flying down mountain slopes, looks like a great way to have fun!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Found the manufacturer:

Would you believe that the company is called… drum roll… “Airboard”?

*Cough*

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Looks like we were both posting pictures at the same time, Bill! The Hammerhead really does look fun. Just like my old red Town Flyer when I was a boy in New York.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Miguel, I think the one you found would be popular with the snowboard folks.

The Ice Rink near my house is connected to a Japanese Company some way and they have pictures on the walls that show “indoor” Down Hill Ski runs from someplace in Japan. Ever seen anything like that?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Sure have, Bill. The one near Tokyo, (SAWS) closed down last year. It was a product of the Bubble Era, when people had money to waste on huge, unlikely projects. I remember the first time I saw SAWS from the car window, upon returning to Japan after 15 years away. It was just a newly built structural skeleton at the time. As an architect I looked at it and just couldn’t imagine what the hell it could be. It was simply enormous! My first impression was that of a hanger for the Thunderbird 2. It never really caught on,though. Have no idea what they are going to do with the place now, though. Can’t imagine using it for an office building, at least not with conservative Japanese business people.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

The site has some pretty nice movies view of people using the Airboard. For regular folk like you and me it seems it would make a great all-around sled. Besides making a relatively lightweight pulk, it would also make a great winter air mattress.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

The movies are great. if you only have time for one watch the “bistraja” one.
    Airboard Movie Link

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools