Topic

pack without using pad for support

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pack without using pad for support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben Abelman
    Spectator

@gadgetmanben

i use an air pad, so for me, using my sleeping pad as support for my pack isn't possible, is there a way to create a pack without using this?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    More info please…
    Do you want to make a pack?
    Do you have a frameless pack that needs support?
    What weight and volume are you dealing with?

Some frameless packs will work with an inflateable.
    What 'air pad' do your have? Air only, or air and foam?
    What size of pad?

More details will yield more options.

Ben Abelman
    Spectator

@gadgetmanben

sorry about that, i really dont know much. i have a POE thermo 6 sleeping pad (http://www.rei.com/product/751065) and i would like to make a pack. i need about 3500-4000 cubic inches of space to be carrying 20-30lbs. i know next to nothing about making packs, and have been able to find little help online, just a good starting point for this kind of pack would be really helpful.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    Look here for some Make Your Own Gear(MYOG)pack ideas.

Take your time on this. There are a lot of details that separate a good pack from a poor pack. Take a look at Six Moon Designs, ULA, Mountain Laurel Designs, and Gossamer Gear to see some excellent examples.

Also, 3500 ci seems like a lot of room, even for 30#.
    If you have the rest of your gear you can "pack" it in a tall narrow cardboard box, along with food etc., to get an idea of how much room you really need.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools