Topic

Anyone Familiar with Cruces Basin Wilderness, NM?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Anyone Familiar with Cruces Basin Wilderness, NM?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has spent time in the Cruces Basin Wilderness, in New Mexico's Carson National Forest. It is tricky to get accurate information from the Forest Service on current conditions (they tend to err on the side of caution, i.e. the access road will be snowed in until July). Any idea what conditions to expect over the next few weeks in terms of vehicle access to major trailheads, and foot travel in the high country? Any great spots one should check out?

Thanks,
    James

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

What's it close to?

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Just east of Chama, right on the border with CO. Elevations between about 8500'-10900'.

James

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

No, but I'll be in the Wheeler Peak Wilderness this weekend at Red River, and I'm sure the snow pack in Cruces will be roughly the same. I'll let you know it that isn't too late. Where is the ranger station for Cruces?

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Thanks, Joe, for the kind offer. Looks like the Forest Service Bulding in Taos and the Ranger District Office in Tres Piedras (SE of the Wilderness) are the main contacts for Cruces, though they may have better information at Tres Piedras because that is the Ranger District for Cruces.

Again, thanks for offer, and enjoy Wheeler!

James

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I had the same experience in the Gila Wilderness on May 1st. The ranger station told us that a road was closed and had too much snow in the higher elevations. The gate on the was closed but not locked and the roads were in great condition. There was still some snow on the SE sides of the mountains. Occassionally you would post hole past your knees. We started running into snow above 9,000.

It is impossible for them to have any idea how skilled you are so i'm sure they err on the side of caution.

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Justin,

I've had similar experiences as you in a number of different areas, and I am now at a point where I just expect very conservative estimates of conditions as a matter of course- especially when it comes to things like snow conditions and water availability. And as you say, you certainly can't blame them. I find I get better information in person as opposed to over the phone, and when I ask very specific questions that show I've done some homework and have some experience. For most reliable information, I come to BPL :-)

James

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

James,

You could also try some local gear shops (or even REI Santa Fe), diners, etc.

I guess the snow can stick around up there according to this

"The last time I tried to get to Cruces Basin Wilderness was several years ago in mid-June. I couldn't make it to the campgrounds at Lagunitas because of the 4-foot snowbanks still covering the road."

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Justin,

Yea, I came across that warning as well! Yikes. I don't mind a few road miles on foot on the way in, but wouldn't want to lose half my trip to it.

Good idea to call local outfitters and establishments. Anything that can prevent some disappointment after a long drive.

James

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Sorry James, we ended up not going thru Santa Fe on the way home, so I didn't get by the Ranger station for you. I can say that in Wheeler, anything that didn't face south or was in heavy shadow was melted. The way the temperature was yesterday, I give it 2 more weeks until it's all gone. We did encounter 37 degrees and 3-4' of snow on parts of the trail Sunday, but we were at 11,750' too.

Trail to Frazier

I don't think I'd be afraid to try Cruces if I was you though.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I thought I should mention, Wheeler is probably 40-50 miles south of Cruces, but the elevation is higher. Here's a shot yesterday at Middle Fork Lake, around 10,600'. You can see that the majority has melted. I think that is the ridge where I took the previous picture. Hard to say though, since visibility was so bad.

Middle Fork Lake, NM

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Joe,

Thank you for that information. Cruces stays below 11,000 feet, and is relatively rolling terrain with open areas of grassland. Since much of it involves route finding without defined trails in the first place, sounds like it shouldn't be hard at all to stay out of the snowbanks. I get the impression that sections of the access road may keep snow late in the season, but hey, I suppose that is why I own that '99 Subaru wagon with the heart of a monster truck. That, and the fact that Subaru ownership is mandatory in Boulder, CO.

Did that fog ever lift on your hike? Again, many thanks.

James

EDIT: looks like it did clear out eventually! Your photo is encouraging me to explore New Mexico some more…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

It never cleared when we were up on the ridge to Wheeler Peak, which was disappointing. I've been wanting to see the view off that ridge for 30 years, and it was that foggy. Oh well, I shouldn't have wasted so much time. Sure is hard to get back in shape at my age. And if you strike out at Cruces, run down to Taos, get a green chile beer at Eske's, go up to the ski valley, and into Wheeler. There are worse places to be……

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Joe,

Sorry the view from the summit didn't work out. Always does help, though, to have a post-hike watering hole mapped out. Well suited to either celebrating success or moderating disappointment (or a little of both), and adds some motivation along the way! I will check out Eske's if I head down that way. My problem is that all those appetizers look so tempting after a few days of energy bars and freeze dried cuisine…

James

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools