Topic

Repairing velcro on silnylon.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repairing velcro on silnylon.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aaron eshelman
    BPL Member

@djaaronreed

Locale: Central Rockies

Ok, so a velcro patch on my tent is coming apart. The threads have come undone just enough to make it a future problem.

What I need to know is, what is the best way to repair and attach the velcro back to silnylon. Is there any special needle or thread to get? Any suggestions on how to do it? It is just a patch of velcro tacked around the perimeter, so I’m pretty sure it is cut and dry on technique, but want to get some input first.

I could just send it back to manufacturer, but that would take time, money and just be a pain in rear. So instead, I’ll do it myself to alleviate the headache.

Suggestions anyone? I’ll post in the gear forum as well, since I don’t know which one it could/should be in.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Small needle, 9 or 11 and polyester thread. Same with hand sewing. Finish with a squeegee and Duco 100% silicone automotive/marine sealant. It will lock the thread in and seal the seam/stitching. Use it on all questionable seams to keep them from coming apart.

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

BPL also sells Silnet for sealing seams in sil-nylon.

Silnet

Otherwise, I concur with Vick; small needle and polyester thread (I prefer Gutermann’s brand thread in a color to match). A good local sewing store ought to have the thread, or something equivalant.

Jay

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Jay,
    I can’t recommend Silnet over Duco automotive/marine silicone sealant because Silnet has low tear strength and its higher tack when dry means it will stick to stuff, then tear. Duco is ‘harder’– not as tacky, so it tends to hold up much better as a seam sealer/protector. The problems with Duco are its higher viscosity and faster set time. In other words, it doesn’t ‘flow’ into seams, but has to be pushed or squeegeed. And you have to work shorter seam sections to get the job done before the sealant sets up. Neither is a major problem in light of the superior performance you get from the Duco. This stuff is good enough that you can glue stuff sacks and not stitch them. I’ve also made some stitchless, shaped, no-spill water bags that way. I use a one inch overlap. If I get brave one day maybe i’ll try it with a tarp or something that gets radical stress. By the way, the Duco is MUCH less expensive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools