Topic

CDT partner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips CDT partner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JPatrick Bowers

@walldiver7

Locale: NorthWest area of New Mexico

Hi Everyone! I'm planning on doing about a 52 mile section of the CDT at the end of June this year. It will start at Cumbres Pass and end near Wolf Creek. I'm 50 (male) this year and speed is no longer possible or desired; I'm planning on covering only about 7 miles a day. There are several small lakes on in this section that I'd like to stop and throws some flys/lures in.
    Anyone?

JPatrick Bowers

@walldiver7

Bump!

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

I'm anxious to hear how this goes!

I'm planning a 100+ mile hike, either through there but extending it on up toward Crede, or through-hiking the Winds Rivers in Wyoming. My trip, unfortunately, can't be made until mid-July. I'm working on the logistics now.

The South San Juans are beautiful. I did a day hike (with a completely locked up back, no less) up to Quartz Lake a couple of years ago. I'm very anxious to return.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Mark–I've hiked both the San Juans and the Winds (both the CDT route). Depending on what you are looking for, mid-July in the Winds will be quite crowded and the San Juans, depending on route, will seem deserted by comparison. Both are beautiful. When I think back to the Winds, I recall every peak looking unique and upon reflection of the San Juans I think of vast open views. Both are in my top-5 places in the US.

I hope you both enjoy your hikes.

JPatrick Bowers

@walldiver7

Mark, Zack,
    Thanks for jumping in here; I was beginning to believe it was only going to be me here (in this thread)! Maybe it's my pace of only 7 mi a day that has dampened the eager hearts of those that would consider it!
    None the less, this trip ought to be fun!

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I view backpacking trips in two categories–those where making miles are necessary and where I carry as little as possible to maximize mileage, and those where I'm getting out there just to get out there and where I carry what will make the trip enjoyable and comfortable. 7 mile days with the right mentality (for me) are very rejuvenating, but if I was out there to make miles, the 7 miles/day would drive me insane.

I'm sure you can find like-minded backpackers.

PS.–I forget the name, but there is a nice little cafe in Chama where they roast their own coffee and have great food. The owner seems like he kind of runs the town, and he was able to get us a killer rate at the hotel next to his cafe.

JPatrick Bowers

@walldiver7

Zack,

Chama is one of my favorite little towns of the West! I live just about 100 miles to the west of Chama. I know the place you're talking about, but also can't recall the name. Most falls I park my RV up on a mountain side near by and hunt those beautiful bull Elk!

This is one of those trips where daily milages concerns are way down the list.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools