Topic

sewing .6oz cuben? how to work with it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sewing .6oz cuben? how to work with it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

I've been tossing around which fabric I was going to make my solo tarp out of for awhile. Now I'm torn between cuben and spinnaker. I've decided also on the myog 5 yds to sul pattern for the actual tarp, but extend the ridgeline by a foot.

How hard is cuben to sew? what special considerations when sewing a flat felled seam or how to sew the ridge line? I've worked with sil, and can sew that just fine, but am curious how much more difficult or what stitch count, or how to seam seal or a good needle size or… down the list, I just need tons of info on cuben, so that I can make an educated decision about whether sewing cuben is going to be worth the effort. Thanks

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass
    Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

I would recommend using adhesive versus sewing.

My Zpack Blast backpack is beginning to fail on the stitching. Joe uses 1oz cuben for this backpack. I would imagine .6oz would have a higher tendency to fail under stress.

I don't have more than a few trips on my backpack.

The fail points are where the needle created a hole for the thread. Overtime, the sewing holes grew. Adhesive eliminates the weaknesses created by a sewing machine.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I'd have to agree with Matt. I also like to carry a small tube for emergency repairs. Be sure to make sure the adhesive you use is "washable". I get mine at Ben Franklin Crafts:)
    If you can't rock on, walk on!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools