Topic

Short Backpacks in So Cal.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Short Backpacks in So Cal.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Anyone have any suggestions for short backpacks in Southern California? I'm finding myself in the LAX area a couple times a year lately and other than heading up into the Lake Arrowhead area for a conference, I've never really done much exploring out there. On one of my next trips out, I'd like to take my UL pack with me and see if I can't head some where for a couple days.

Open to suggestions and the best time of year to go. I don't want 100 degree days but I also don't want to be hiking in deep snow. Waking up to a light dusting of snow wouldn't be bad though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

It depends on the time of year. But here are a few desitnations.

– San Bernadino NF (San Gorgonio district)
    – San Bernadino NF (San Jacinto district)
    – San Jacinto State Wilderness
    – Joshua Tree National Park
    – Anza Borrego State Park

I will stop here, because you can spend years hiking these areas. And there are even more places to go in So Cal. The trick is to find the areas that to not have hordes of people. :)

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Those are all good suggestions but you can beat the heat and stay closer to LA with these too. I usually do just an overnighter or two at any of these locations.

Caveat: Craig Wisner can actually elaborate on a couple of these that he's just recently introduced me to.

Angeles NF:
    Angeles Crest: Horse Flats 5000ft'ish, good local rocking climbing as well. An hour or less from Pasadena.

San Gabriel River Valley (Azusa). Craig just brought me in here. I can't recall the trail head name. If you plan to hike a mere 4-5mi in you'll leave the locals and prospectors behind (yes, I said prospectors).

My Favorite:
    Los Padres NF:
    Sesepe Mountain Range. 1.75hrs from LA up the 5. Exit Frazier Park and head West. A river valley. Hot Springs. Plenty of wet camps (even in Aug or Sept).

Anyway, look me up next time yer around. I'm sleeping out most any weekend, and always willing to meet a fellow BPL'er.

cheers,
    -Michael

Timothy Sexton

@tijos1

The best way to stay away from the heat is to climb away from the heat. I hate the heat; anything above 85 is too hot for me.

-San Gorgonio (awesome mountain a must climb)
    -San Jacinto (another great mountain and if you just want a short hike then take the ariel tram)
    -Joshua Tree (every time I visit Joshua Tree it is just super windy, and it can get quite hot in the summertime)
    – Anza Borrego (the heat alone can kill me)

Next month I will be climbing both San Gorgonio then San Jacinto (from idewile)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Tim,

But it is a dry heat. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools