Topic

Questions for the stove experts.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Questions for the stove experts.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

I just ordered the MSR Windpro as I think it has the best potential to make a light weight stove that I can use for our group hikes of 5 people. We typically are out for 6 to 10 days so we need the canister stove for all the group cooking we do which is mostly just boiling lots of water. I think the remote canister setup is going to work well as I can now incorporate a nice windscreen and really start looking at conserving fuel. Plus, we will be able to use the modified windscreen (Thanks to Bill F.) as a wood burning stove in areas designated acceptable to have fires.
    I'm now looking at taking the stove apart to remove the legs and wanted to know if you think I can also remove the pre-heat section of the tubing that passes over the burner and just go straight into the stove. I don't plan on using the stove in conditions below freezing? Do you still need the pre-heater to "vaporize the fuel" or can this be bypassed if you don't encounter super cold conditions?
    Also, I want to have a plate of aluminum as the support piece that holds the stove and radiates the heat up towards the pot. Can this be mounted directly under the burner? Maybe just 0.5" below it? Seems like there would still be plenty of air to circulate to the burner. Not sure if this would affect the performance?
    Would love to hear all advice before I tear into this one.

THANKS
    Kevin
    MSR Windpro

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools