Topic

Henry Coe SP Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Henry Coe SP Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m heading to Henry Coe SP soon for a 4 day trek thru some of the best hiking Northern California has to offer. HCSP is situated just east of Morgan Hill, CA and is 88,000 plus acres of rolling hills, manzanita trees and solitude. Unlike most parts of california, there are few visitors – especially at this time of the year.

Henry Coe State Park

I’ve hiked many miles here, from one end of the park to another and just love the place, so being able to go back is a real treat.

I’m trying out a few new things and here is my gear list:

Shelter & Sleeping
    Equinox Tarp/Poncho w/ 5 stakes (New) 9.5
    Mantis Bug Net 4.1
    Ti Goat Bivy 5.5
    SMD Essence Pack (New) 13
    Pacific Crest Synth Bag (+40) 23
    Gossamer NightLight Pad 3.5
    Gossamer ThinLight Pad 1.5
    Groundsheet – 4 mil plastic 1

Kitchen
    Ti Windscreen/Base 0.2
    Snow Peak 700 Kettle 4.3
    Pepsi Can Stove – MBD Elite 0.4
    Plastic Cup 0.5
    Reflectix Pot Cozy (New) 0.9
    Packtowel Ultralite 0.5

Gear
    Platypus 2L 1.5
    Platypus 1L 1
    Platypus Hose 2.5
    TP (4×4 Shop Towels – 6)/Trowel in Ziplock 1.75
    First Aid/Emergency Kit w/ Tikka XP/Straw Filter etc 18.75
    Optio WPI Digital Camera w/ 512 card 5
    Creative Zen Nano w/ ear phones (for books) 2

Clothes
    Patagonia SW Capeline LS Shirt 5.5
    Smartwool RBX Socks 1.5
    Serius Glove Liners 1.5
    Montane Featherlight Windshirt 3.5
    Montbell UL Down Jacket 7.2
    Fleece Balaclava 3
    Montbell Zeo-Line Tights 3.5

Base Pack Weight 126.1 oz or 7.88 pounds.

I’ll be wearing a Golite C-thru T, REI Sahara Pants, Prana hat (or REI Elements sombrero if rain), Smartwook RBX Socks and Montrail Masai shoes. I’ll carry one trek pole for the tarp.

Weather might be rainy, and the lows/highs are about 40 to 65. The bivy will give my bag the extra push if it drops a few below that. I have a MLD Devotion Sleeping Bag on order, but thanks to BPL’s review of their tarps, there is a backlog of 8-10 weeks so I won’t have it in time. ;-)

The terrain is quite demanding, with lots of ups/downs and some incredible vistas for such hills. I intend to put between 50-70 miles in at least, as there are several places I want to visit that I have not so far.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I am jealous. I once lived in Gilroy which is just south of Morgan Hill. It is a beautiful area. When I would drive past Morgan Hill the smell of mushroom compost would give it away. The smell of Garlic is the olfactory clue for Gilroy. Your list looks great. Is the Ti Windscreen/Base something you made from the Ti foil available from BPL? I just received mine but haven’t put it to use yet.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Yes, it is the ti-foil from BPL. Have not used it yet, so we’ll see how it holds up.

If it does not, I’ll use my Gossamer Gear Night light as a big winscreen (at the appropriate distance).

I lived in the bay area for years, and this was my favorite retreat (ok, maybe Ventana Wilderness was up there too).

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Have fun. I live in San Jose and keep thinking that would be a fun winter hike. Please let us know how you do. Your list looks real good by the way.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Gotta throw in Point Reyes for great places too!

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Point Reyes – Yep! Sweet place.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools