Topic

Aniakchak Adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Aniakchak Adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Aniakchak Adventure

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

What a great adventure story! I read the article twice to pick up every morsel and will probably read it again tomorrow.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Great read, Matt!
    Gorgeous photos!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

THE BEST story i have read on BPL in a while!!! For those of us who understand how to boil water with our camp stoves, I was glad to see this article this morn.

Leif Hatlen

@pluboyz1

Locale: Pacific NW

Great story, well written, and wonderful pictures!! Thank you for sharing!!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Matt,

Have you ever had chunks break off your AB Manta Ray? It is not uncommon and didn't notice any paddle repair material in your kit except for possibly the 1/2" clamp; how is this used?

You carried a homemade 50' Dyneema throw rope. My experience is that this material sinks and tangles in the rocks during a WW rescue; have you considered a 1/4" polypropylene rope which is near the Dyneema weight but not the strength.

With the water temps you experienced water flushing during a swim could be quite incapacitating. I assume that Sheri’s paddling pants you wore had ankle gaskets. You rain jacket did not and would have allowed copious water flushing in a swim. A gasketed top would have dramatically lowered the cold water flush rate and would also serve as a rain jacket when hiking. Did you consider this option?

Have you tested your Sea to Summit 35L pack liner’s protection of your pack contents during a flip in rapids? I noticed Agnes carried a WxTex dry bag which my testing showed works perfectly in WW dumps.

The Bear Spray was in the Consumables total; in your environment that makes sense but what about UL lists in general?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Daniel Lysko
    BPL Member

@dannl

Wow, thanks for the great write up!

Matt Hage
    Spectator

@mattagnes

Locale: Alaska

Alright Richard-lots of questions to answer here.

After five years using the Aqua Bound paddles, we've found them to be very durable for our purposes. We find them much more durable than the Sawyers. They are the right weight, durability and price for us. No paddle repair other than duct tape. Breaking a paddle on the Aniakchak would mean that you'd have to hike down to the lower river. And miss all the fun.

Our Dyneema cord has a neoprene sheath and floats well. Worked it hard in swiftwater rescue set-ups. We carry ltwt ascenders for rescue ops that would shred neoprene cord.

We determined that full-on paddle top would be overkill for the one day of whitewater. Much heavier to carry and we find the neck gasket can chafe (for ten-days continuous wear). We stayed dry, with bit of dampness creeping up our sleeves by days end.

Sea to Summit pack liners work great. We use a heavier WxTex bag for the easy-access bag for more durability. But came back with punctures in those bags.

Matt-

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Matt,

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Fantastic story

Thanks

richard turner

@rjturner

Some years ago I spent three weeks in Aniakchak, one in the caldera, one hiking to the ocean, and the last week on the coast. I chose to backpack and not raft the river. In my opinion the river is not a particularly great choice, rocky, steep and brushy initially followed by a rather placid outrun to the ocean. However, for Alaska, it is almost ideal hiking terrain comprised mostly of volcanic pumice. Walking gave us a tremendous opportunity for wildlife viewing, and indeed there is much to see in this regard. The large bears are everywhere. We also saw wolves and caribou, including a very close encounter with a wolf who had fallen asleep on the tundra, allowing us to approach within feet before awakening. However,I am sorry to see this special place receive much publicity. When we visited we were the only people we saw except for a botanist and park ranger companion doing research in the caldera. The rest of the trip was pure solitude until we saw commercial fisherman on the coast. I hope it stays that way. Perhaps the cost of getting there will help protect it.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

This is the best story I've seen in a while too… More please.

Joseph Schwartz

@craftsman

You list food as 1.2 lbs per day x 10 days, That figures out to 11.5 lbs pre day yet you list your consumables weight as 3.0 lbs. How does that work?

Kevin Goulding
    BPL Member

@baha-kev

Hi Matt-

Amazing photography and great story! Question: What camera/equipment setup did you bring? How was it waterproofed and/or accessible in the raft?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools