Topic

manitoba hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports manitoba hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

Just did my first trip of the year as soon as school finished. Me and some friends did the Mantario trail which is on the border of Ontario and Manitoba, its one of the very few overnighter trips in the province. Its just over 60kms long and runs through the canadian shield and boreal forest. Took us 2 nights and the weather was all good even though rain was expected both nights.
    trailhead The trailhead
    First few kms in First few kms in
    First vista view a few hours in First big view a few kms in
    Marion lake Spent the first night at Marion lake about one third of the way through the trail
    overlooking mantario lake About halfway through theres a rise in elevation where your mostly walking on a granite ridge that overlooks mantario lake for about the length of the lake, its my favourite part of the trail.
    mantario
    the rockMantario lake campsite
    campsite
    We camped at mantario lake for the second night, in the morning it looked like there was for sure going to be rain but it cleared up to blue sky's after a few hours :).vistamuddy waters This is what we were constantly walking through the whole trail, which is really wet in spring.mud
    The best part about this trail is that the last 2-3kms are PURE MUD from atvs and theres no way around it so you just get ridiculously dirty before you finish. Its funny cause you can see the trails that hikers made to go around some parts of the mud and then you can see that atvs have used them too.

-Cheers,

Ryan Zahynacz

@creep

Nice, I love the Mantario trail. How were the lake levels on the Big Whiteshell? Where there many others hiking it this time of year?

I did it last August when and it was really dry for almost the entire thing, and the Big Whiteshell was a couple feet below normal.

Matt Vandenberg

@matty204

nice to see some else has done it, the levels on big white seemed fine for that time of year, the trail wasn't badly flooded or anything. Late summer and fall is for sure the best time to do the trail though. We didn't see anyone till the last day, a big high school group of about 10-15 people, i was surprised to see that. I wish when i was in high school i got to go hiking for a class haha.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools