Topic

Lowland route through the Pemi

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lowland route through the Pemi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hello,
    this weekend my wife and I decided to get out and put some miles in our legs. Unfortunately Spring in the Whites is a gear intensive time with rapid weather changes so we had to pack along a few extra's bringing our baseweights alittle higher than normal.
    Initially we were going to try for some 4k peaks and decided we would need snowshoes to fight the rotten snow up high. In the end we had such a good time just walking that we decided to stay low and just enjoy the day by skipping the higher peaks. Here are some pix of our 19 mile trip from Friday night to Saturday evening…

We hiked 6 miles in the dark on Friday night and found this great BC camp. The dog and I were up by 6 Saturday morn and exploring camp while my wife slept in abit
    tarp

After spending the night cuddled up in our 2 person bivy Aspen was up and ready to go!
    aspen

Thank goodness for fast drying and flexible shoes. Freezing cold river crossings are plentiful this time of year.
    river with pup

After trekking out to Carrigan on the wilderness tr, we walked back to the Bondcliff area and crossed this shakey suspension bridge
    bridge

Rachel trekking by the river
    rach1

One last river crossing on the way back to the car. Thank goodness the Thorfare pants dry fast as I was submerged to my knee's moments after this shot.
    river 5

Aspen doing circles around Rachel even after 12 miles
    popopo

2 days of hiking by a river makes a water dog happy!
    happy

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Jonathan,
    Thanks for sharing, looks like things up north have thawed out nicely. Can only imagine sharing a two person bivy with Aspen as shear comedy, hoping you all got some sleep. Really great seeing your photo's from the north country.
    Jim

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Jonathan,
    Thanks for the post and & pictures. I love hiking in the White Mtns. and the Pemi area provides many and varied options. I too, appreciate taking the lowland routes.

As this is the "mud season," How muddy did you find the trails on your trip?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Yea the little dude is getting slightly better at sleeping in the woods. Still needs some practice though :)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I love my dog but she is not allowed anywhere near my nunatak quilt. :) I enjoyed your trip report, I would like to see more pictures of this area.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Thanks for the pictures and post — I'm planning on spending 6 days in and around the Pemi at the end of May. Spring is a great time in the Whites…

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Hey Mike,
    conditions are typical for this time of year, very muddy. I love how all of the main hiking sites say that GTX boots are required. No matter what you wear your feet will get wet.

Thom,
    I hear ya. Our pup slept at the head end of our bivy b/c like you mentioned, I do not want any holes in my $400 Mountain Laural Designs custom 2 person quilt!!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Jonathan,
    I would guess you have no issues with your dog loving water. I took some doing but my border collie now loves water, stream crossings are her favorite trail feature.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

yea my dog is def a water lover too, but he is norm dry within an hour (Labs have an oily coat that repels water). Plus the quilt is XP so it does not wilt it if gets alittle wet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools