Topic

square tarp or rectangle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) square tarp or rectangle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Hi,
    I'm debating a MLD Super Tarp 8×10 or an Oware 2.5 (8'10"x 8'10") for general 3 season lower altitude hiking in the Pyrenees. I've gone off a shaped shelter and want versatility in pitches.
    What's the advantages of a square over the rectangle? Any experienced users out there want to lend a hand in the decision making process, please?
    cheers,
    fred

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I use an Oware 8×10 and find it works very well, but if I bought a new one today I would buy a square so I could pitch a better flying diamond..

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

OK, I'll bite……….what's a flying diamond?

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains
    Unknown abc

@edude

Which do you want more of, versitility or simplicity? IMO, the square tarp is easiest, but a rectangle offers more options.
    cheers

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Thanks for your input so far.

I have a Golite Shangri La 3 for above tree line, but want a tarp for stealth camping in lower altitudes. I do like taking things easy, and not having a complicated life, but a few options are good too.
    I can see myself pitching in a flying diamond, A frame or fold over wind shed style most of the time in forests, so I'm looking for something best suited to do this.
    I'll be using a bug net on a ground sheet.

cheers,
    fred

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

The Gossamer Gear Spinshelter grabbed my eye. Im also looking for a new solo shelter and have narrowed it down to
    -Gossamer Gear Spinshelter-great protection from the elements, tarp door allows for many configurations
    -Oware Catbird Tarp 1-great protection, great design for stealth camping,
    -Cattarp 1.1-great UL solo

I'll probably pair the shelter i select with a Oware Bivysack DWR Regular Drawcord.Weight size regular 5.75 oz

my 2 cent$

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

That's why I bought it instead of a tarp. Still about a pound, not ultra-lightweight as a tarp might be, but totally enclosed to keep rain and wind off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools