Topic

HD camcorders (or Panasonic GH1)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography HD camcorders (or Panasonic GH1)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I'm a long-time amateur photographer who is interested in doing a bit of video (both on the trail, and off).

So I'm wondering what those in the know can recommend as a lightweight camcorder. I want full HD, good autofocus performance, and decent sound.

The Sony TG1 looks like it might fit the bill for something light and compact.

Being light is important because I will often be carrying a stills camera (SLR) at the same time. The new Pana GH1 is tempting, since it seems to offer pretty good video quality and usability (previous attempts on SLRs have not been very usable). I'm not terribly excited about using it as a stills camera though… the 4/3rds sensor and the range of lenses available are both significant negatives.

I am curious though… how does the GH1 video quality compare to "normal" HD camcorders. Obviously the GH1 gives you shallower d.o.f. which is nice, and low-light performance must be pretty good. But does it end up being comparable to dedicated camcorders?

Any thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Cheers, A

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools