Topic

Cooking with Silicon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cooking with Silicon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I was looking at a 1 qt silicon bowl that claims to withstand 495 degree heat and wonder if anyone has used any of these for cooking — either adding boiling water to whatever one would put in the bowl, or have it sit inside a pot with some water to avoid melting.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I've used silicone muffin cups to do steam baking in my 1L cook pot. Worked like a charm.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Silicone pans are designed to take the heat! They work well to add water to (making dehydrated or FBC style meals this way) and to use in steaming.

Only warning – don't use directly over flame without a buffer – a pot and some water.

My favorite? Wilton Silly Feet cupcake liners. Love them for steaming!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I use silicone for baking all the time both on and off the trail. I like the silpat for oven use at home and the cupcake holders for baking muffins and other dishes on the trail.

Boiling water is much lower temperature-wise than baking temperatures and most baking never exceeds 450°F unless you want to have burnt offerings.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Thanks for your feedback on silicone for cooking. Think we will pick up a qt container for polenta in the pot.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I got a set of these

http://www.wilton.com/store/images/site_images/415-9451_m.jpg

last week and tried them out steam baking this weekend. I used a Just add water muffin mix and put one cup at a time in the bottom of my jetboil. I worked great! And made some very moist muffins. They are very light and I figure I will add them to my pack for some fresh muffins or cake on the trail for most trips. The biggest trick was keeping the heat low enough to not boil over the muffin cup. I still need to figure out just how much water to add :) Sarah's Youtube vid on steam baking was very helpful, so thanks for the info Sarah!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hahhah! I like yours better, Paul ;-) Little piggy bottoms. How appropriate for hungry hikers!

On the water I don't add a lot – on the Silly Feet I just cover the feet.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Sarah, my 5 yr old was sure I was going to make him all of those little muffins all decorated just like on the box, he was still happy with a tri berry muffin though. :) Yummy.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Muffins

Hit the spot after a hard day, and only took a few minutes per batch.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Good job – those look great :-D

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

I've been pondering this one for a while, especially when sarah found those silly feet cupcake molds… my question is…

can you do this with an alcy stove? can i have the best of both worlds? light weight, and eat my cake too? :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Alcohol stove baking? Of course…

If you can boil water, you can "bake".

Being able to simmer will conserve fuel over a 15 minute burn, so that might be the only consideration.

A foil muffin tin with a 1/4" hole in the top works just fine, and can ride on the stove for packing.

We do cupcakes and 'big cakes' too.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep! The silicone liners are rated from 450* to 600*, depending on brand/style. The box will say what though. Anyhow, that works with both canister and alchy stoves. Just be sure to have water in your pot :-)

As I do more versions I have compiled all the notes, photos, etc here:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools