Topic

Great idea for lightweight trowel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Great idea for lightweight trowel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I had to Franco, as some of my employees are convinced I do it the other way around…..

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I had to Franco, as some of my employees are convinced I do it the other way around….."

OR -"I had to Franco, as some of my employees are convinced I Should do it the other way around….." ?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"OR -"I had to Franco, as some of my employees are convinced I Should do it the other way around….." ?"

Greg, have you been talking to my employees? :-)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

"SUL Titanium Spoon-potty trowel-snow stake, multi-tool"

Dennis –

SPOON?

IMO, that's taking multi-tasking one step too far.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Modesty aside, I am a bit of an expert at talking crap, so I felt qualified to give my point of view.
    Franco
    I still think that my UK* made snow/sand peg at 1 oz (similar to the one Roleigh uses) is the practical way to GO if you want the JOB done (…)
    *To get the same export quality item in the UK they import one from Australia

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Bob,

I already use it as a spoon when sharing desserts, 'round the "campfire". With it you can "dig really deep".

John Larson

@j-larson

bye

Johann kuester

@whirlpool

This is what I use. I slip in inside the cardbord tube of my toilet paper so it's handy. Mine weighs 1/2 oz. in chromed steel.

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

reviving and old thread…

All the new Ti potty trowel talk has be wondering what else can the trowel be used for?

Digging (obviously!)
    Tent peg
    Moving hot ash
    Roll your duct tape around the handle
    Wrap some spare line around the handle

I would really like to see a pot lifter potty trowel combo.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I'm just glad to see another thread that talks about digging in the dirt with a spoon! As if nobody ever played in the back yard with a spoon as a kid, sheesh. Maybe there's some confusion…

The idea is to use the spoon BEFORE you "go", not after.

Besides, the bowl end makes a better handle anyway ;)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Also posted in a current MYOG thread, but here's my attempt. It's 6.5" long and weighs 0.7 oz.

decaspadesv2c

Made of 1" by 1/16" angle aluminum. Not in the least bit bendy; quite sturdy.

Tested as a tent stake, it holds well in sandy soil.

Cost of material to make it: $1.00

I know there is an ongoing argument about carrying a trowel and it's often recommended to "grab a rock or a stick to dig, which weighs nothing." Three comments:

(1) When I gotta go, I gotta go. I don't want to start hunting for a stick or rock.

(2) In the desert, "What sticks?" A cactus branch, maybe?

(3) I've found it difficult to dig a 6" hole with a rock in hard ground. It's difficult enough with a trowel!!

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

"(2) In the desert, "What sticks?" A cactus branch, maybe?"

I tend to forget that "backpackinglight" is somehow considered to be a west coast craze around here. Being from the Land of Sky Blue Waters, I guess I'm used to good ol' loamy forest floor and peaty prairie land. Dig on my desert friend! (I actually have some of that material from an old project I'm going to try out ;) )

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools