Topic

Our Lightest Cozy Yet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Our Lightest Cozy Yet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> it sounds like Roger is poo-pooing Sarah's product/technique

Absolutely not, and if anyone has got that impression then I assure that you are wrong. Stirring the pot a bit with my tongue in my cheek – maybe :-)

The point I wanted to bring out was that putting a lid on the pot can be just as effective in keeping something hot. Some of us do it one way; others do it another way. Both ways work. CYOM.

My real problem is that many of the ingredients Sarah and others use are just not available outside America. Sigh, grumble, sigh. :-(

Cheers

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Roger, I really don't think a windscreen would insulate a pot as well as a "thick" reflectix cozy that has air bubbles inside. Although your technique doesn't really require a cozy.

I'm guilty of using a heavy Snow Peak 700 with the original lid. I've tried making a lid, and I've tried beer can pots…pie plates are for pies and beer cans are for beer. :) I always had to drink my coffee quickly on cold days, or it got cold. Who wants to chug coffee? With a cozy around the pot, I can sip and enjoy coffee, while my meal is heating in the FB cozy in water that didn't require heating to an extreme temp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I always had to drink my coffee quickly on cold days, or it got cold.
    Interesting. I don't have that problem with coffee in a plastic mug, but I can imagine having it with a metal one.

If it is really cold, like in the snow, I make sure my mug is not sitting on the snow and maybe I might put an improvised lid on it if I am busy for a moment. Otherwise those GSI plastic mugs seem rather good to me.

Harking to another thread about washing up … I can remember my wife pouring some cool/cold water into our plastic bowls one morning after breakfast to rinse them. She turned aside for a moment to sort something out. When her attention returned to rinsing the bowls out, she found that all she had to do was to tap the bowls upside down and all the ice fell out – leaving clean bowls! Yep – snow camping again … :-)

Cheers

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

> I always had to drink my coffee quickly on cold days, or it got cold.

I don't have that issue either, using a beer can with the ULO Beercan Esbit stove. The wind screen turns it into a great double-walled mug. Usually it is the last thing in my pack in the mornings because I drink coffee from it at breakfast and it lasts while breaking camp.

I actually made a cozy for it from reflectix to test and it didn't really add anything.

> all she had to do was to tap the bowls upside down and all the ice fell out – leaving clean bowls!

That's classic!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Roger,

I am working one being better about the hard to find stuff. I am keeping those for the website/blog. When I was doing the recipes for upcoming book 2 I tried to use nothing that was hard to find – and that could be dried at home if you can't get it in person/or online :-) So I tried to do nothing that required a branded product.

I heard the grumblings from England (and Oz as well!) ;-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Sarah

Hey, go for it, and don't let any grumbles hold you back. The problem in Oz is the Customs/Quarantine barriers.
    Keep posting – you are doing a great job.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I heard the grumblings from England (and Oz as well!) ;-)"

Hey, I'll send you smiles and Props from Colorado.

Keep going, don't hold back, Good stuff is worth it!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Now Mrs. Lazy needs to get to work and get sewing. She spent her weekend hiking.

Shocking I know ;-)

It was just TOO sunny and warm to sit inside. Fortunately the rain clouds have come back so I should be done very soon ;-)

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> Re: Our Lightest Cozy Yet on 05/08/2009
    > I will have the new cozy up on the website tonight –

Any progress yet?

[Taps foot, waiting impatiently]

… or did I miss it?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Almost! Just got a couple more done. I had a big order from a Scout Troop get bumped up in the line. I just need a couple woodland creatures that will sew for carrots or something ;-)

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

"I sew for beer"

Not really… I can't sew a lick… but I WOULD if I could.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

http://www.trailcooking.com/store/cozies-and-accessories

They are live tonight. Sorry it took so long!

David Dixon

@talusman

page not found

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark
    Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Went for it – I do enough instant potato flakes that I had to jump on it.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sarah – I looked all over the place at the local big box grocery store and couldn't find pint zip bags. Lots of quart bags, and zip sandwich bags, but no pints. Where do you find them? Is there a specific brand?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Kathleen,

QFC carries them, as does Walm-Mart. Look for them by Ziploc brand. They hide them, when I find them I buy like 10 boxes at a time. Just saying the local Wally-World has none in stock right now ;-)

You are coming tonight to the REI event? I was thinking that was you right? If so, I will toss a box in for you of them!

And sorry if right after I posted the link last night it didn't work. Husband hadn't reset the cache on the website. If a person is logged into the site stuff goes live in seconds, if a guest it can take a couple hours for the cache to cycle. Sorry about that!!!!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Thanks, Sarah! Yes, I will be there this evening with the Ursack aluminum liner in tow. I started throwing in other things that are usable, too, but too much of a hassle to try to sell. So either keep them or keep them moving!

Kathleen, a/k/a Alpine Pedestrian

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Cool! Sounds like a great swap to me ;-)

Will go toss a box in my bins!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Sarah, how can we get you to do a class at the Issaquah store? Closer to home, (405 in the evening is a mess!)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Tad, I'd rather do the Issaquah store! Way closer for me as well. Tonight will be a "fun" drive across 90 and 405.

Bug them ;-) Drop a hint they should invite me!

Btw, I will be back at Trails Fest in July in North Bend and it looks for now that I am doing a presentation again – I will be doing an all new one, new recipes, etc. :-)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Perhaps I missed it but what is this fabric? It looks like those padded tablecloths. My church has some old ones in gold.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Got mine yesterday; weighs in at 19 grams. My girlfriend immediately wanted to know why I didn't get two… Doh!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I was thinking, wouldn't using your sleeping bag as a cozy serve as dual purpose? It would get your sleeping bag a little bit warmer so it's nice and toasty when you get in (assuming you cook your meal before you go to bed).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

As long as you don't spill and your bag doesn't take on the smell of Kung Pow Chicken I think the bears would leave you alone.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools