Topic

Tenkara Rods – UL fishing…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara Rods – UL fishing…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    WV Hiker

@vdeal

Locale: West Virginia

Paul,

The videos are at http://www.tenkarausa.com/video.php.

WV Hiker

@vdeal

Locale: West Virginia

Paul,

Check the about section on TenkaraUSA's website:

http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php

They have a section about landing a fish with graphics. In fact, the whole page is interesting in the detail that it provides about the system and philosophy.

Gary Thorne

@garyt

Thanks to Ryan for putting me on to Tenkara. I watched this style of fishing in Japan, but I thought it was a cheaper way of fishing. From a distance, it looked like a cane pole.
    We're heading to North Carolina in September with Packrafts and my new Tenkara rod. I'm hoping to be able to catch a few Panfish with this rod.

KYLE PARKER

@swiggydiggmail-com

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

After watching Ryan's video, I did my research and ordered an Ebisu. Taking it to Shenandoah's mountain streams to stalk brook trout soon. Thanks Ryan for introducing us all to this great new way of backcountry fishing.

Todd Homchick

@upricon

Locale: San Gabriel Mountains

I once saw a guys set up where he used a regular 5 piece rod but instead of a reel he rigged up some sort on cleat and just wound his line around that. It's sort of the same idea as the Tenkara but you can have guides and a bit more control

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Well my Yamame rod just arrived, the tip looks so thin …
    Anyway thanks Brian and Josh for posting about tenkara.
    I will bring it for hikes i wouldnt have used my usual spinning fishing setup (500g)

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

I've been looking into this new-to-me concept for a few days now, still not sure what I think.

The most intriguing aspect to me is daydreaming about being a flyfishing Samurai in a forgotten time.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to flyfishing, if for no other reason than the much greater range possible with a fly-line and reel.

I don't see the tenkara method as a good choice for the c&r fisherman.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Tenkara is flyfishing – but it's not modern Western flyfishing. The biggest difference is obviously the lack of a reel and long line. But you are still fishing an artificial fly – thus flyfishing!

What makes you think it doesn't go well with catch & release? I've practiced C&R with my Tenkara rods without any problems.

Dave T

@davet

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

You have a good point, Dave. Who would want to hurt a Sea Kitten?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Sea kittens are awesome! Baked, broiled, fried, or my favorite…poached!

Tenkara is just as suited to C&R as western fly fishing, I've released hundreds of fish from my Tenkara line, with no trouble at all. If you fish strickly C&R, you should flatten your barbs, Tenkara or otherwise.

BTW…..Barbless also works great for bow fishing carp, alot less hassle, and you get multiple shots.

Cutthroat dinner

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

If you guys subscribe (or have access) to the magazine Fly Rod and Reel be sure to read Yvon Chouinard's (Patagonia's CEO) article titled "Simple Gifts". It is a nice discussion on "his move towards ultimate simplicity, on and off the water" and discusses his fondness of Tenkara style fishing. See page 63 of the Oct/Nov 2009 edition.

Todd Forbes

@tf

Tom, if fishing bothers you so much, what in the hell are you doing on a fishing forum?

Never forget this, something has to die in order for YOU to live and it does not matter if you are a vegan; do you know how many animals are killed due to loss of habitat and chemicals by farmers?

We are talking about animal that is a canable and eats its own children. Besides, we ONLY catch those "meany" predator fish, fish that think they are about to eat the very animal you seem to love so much – where is the outrage towards these predator fish? Where is our praise for keeping these vicious predators under control?
    Another fact you might not know, is that many species of Predator fish kill for fun. When I fish for redfish in the saltwater bays we locate them by oil slicks on the surface of the water – this slick is caused by a redfish that has regurgitated his stomach just so he can kill and eat more bait fish. Spanish Mackerel and Jack Crevalle are notorious for killing other fish for sport, not for subsistence living, and I have seen it many times myself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, if fishing bothers you so much, what in the hell are you doing on a fishing forum?"

Hi Todd,

I seem to be the only Tom on the thread, so I guess you must be addressing me. Last time I checked, any forum is open to anyone who wants to contribute. I posted what I thought was a reasonable way for catch and release fishermen to avoid getting hung up in the brush, a bit tongue in cheek at that.

Remainder of post deleted with humble apologies to all forum members who had the misfortune of reading my ill tempered outburst.

Tom

Todd Forbes

@tf

My sister is not only a Vegan, she used to be the President of our local chapter of PETA so I am well aware of some peoples feelings towards fishing and I repect that; I just ask that they try to respect my opinion on the matter also. This board is certianly open to anyone, but I would think this particular forum would not be one that someone who does not approve of fishing would read. It's still a free country, that is changing fast but for now it most certianly is.

Also for the record, I am VERY anal how I handle fish to ensure they are not harmed; I always carry hemostats so I don't usually touch the fish and when I absoultly must I wet my hands first so it will not rub off much slime. If I am just C&R fishing I remove the barbs on the hooks. I respect the fish as I am sure you do.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I went on a multiday backpack through the Emigrant wilderness and tried both tenkara and regular fly fishing on lakes and streams. I found that it was very easy to catch small (< 6") trout in clear streams with the tenkara; the delicate presentation doesn't spook the fish.

I tried, but was unsuccessful in the big lake, but that may have more to do with the time of day, certainly the regular fly rod could get further out and was more successful.

The people I went with were impressed with the simplicity and speed of setup, even during a trail break i could get a few casts in. All of the fish I managed to catch were small, but this was in small streams with nothing large and besides if you collect a mess of them it would be a meal.

Daniel Galhardo

@dwgalhardo

Locale: Boulder, CO

Just posted a video on cleaning and preparing trout in the best way I know: http://www.tenkarausa.com/video.php

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I figured it would be best to post my question in this thread rather than start a new one.

I am ready to purchase a Tenkara rod to take along on future backpacking trips, but I cannot decide which one to get. I would like to get the most versatile one. Which rod would be able to handle both larger and smaller fish reasonably well?

I'm leaning towards the Ebisu (6:4) or Ayu, however, the weight of the Iwana is very appealing to me as well. Decisions, decisions…

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

This is great. Just when I think I've seen it all, up comes a new idea – I love it.

Two words – Czech nymphing. Y'll can use google, check out the technique. Must be some video's on Youtube about it somewhere.

It became the rage internationally in fly fishing circles a while ago after the czech team blew everyone away in the world champs with this winning and deadly approach. Best with a 10' or longer rod, and very short line to stay in contact with the fly (you follow it down, keeping a tight line), and small flies, albeit nymphs(sound familiar?).

I haven't used a tenkara rod yet, but it seems like it might be a close fit or even an advantage, and the extra length of the rod and light tip would be perfect. The only problem I can think of is that the furled line may be actually too LONG for the technique, but that'd be easy to sort out (snip!).

Landing a fish on the rod will be interesting – I'll bet there are few high stick failures, but that's part of the territory, if you don't risk it, you don't get to enjoy.

p.s. wouldn't recommend this for new zealand, only for the little aussie fish. the fish are too big and too strong in unzud, due to the rivers and the condition f the fish. the average 4-6lb brownie can take you a long way unless you really muscle them out, and it's generally recommended to use 6lb tippet in most cases – the fish are very strong. The way trout fishing used to be, before we over populated everywhere.

craig

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Craig,

CZN is well-suited to Tenkara – with caveats.

I tie my own braided leaders, and create very loose leaders that are 8-12" in diameter. Loose to provide some additional elasticity to the system.

Then, your CZN rig tied on 6X mono to that. I find 5X a little heavy with the short leader, so you further limit fly size.

I like CZN with the short Hane rather than the softer Tenkara rods, which are a liability when it comes to controlling the drift.

This is the predominant method I use to fish the Hydropsyche hatch on the Madison River here, one of the nation's legendary fly hatches in the world. Tenkara isn't popular in Montana – same with ultralight backpacking – so I get lots of funny looks, especially with an 8" leader!

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Thanks Ryan, good advice, I'll try it.

cheers
    craig

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Ryan,

I was away fishing when the notice came out, so I missed the window to get in first on the limited offer on this BPL special, the Hane. yup, I've put my name down so hopefully there will be enough interest to make another run worthwhile.

so, in the mean time, could you please give me some background on other rods, if you are familiar with any others? I see two on the tenkara website, the Iwana 11ft, which looks soft action, and the Yamame 12ft, which looks like a stiffer action, as available at present, and these are the closest to your Hane.

Until you do another run on Hane's (please), what would be my best bet? Do you have any knowledge of these models? e.g. how stiff is the Yamame, and how soft is the Iwana.

I currently use a sage z-axis or a innovator velocity, both very fast, i.e. stiff, actions, and prefer this to softer rods (even find Loomis too soft now). My rivers are either small fish, small streams (in Oz) or big fush, very fest rivers (NZ).

If you can shed any light, I'd appreciate it. I'll start the new fad here in Oz and Unzud yet!

best regards
    craig

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

if you were so inclined, please don't bother answering to my previous post, as I've answered my own questions. I got hailed and rained off ridge and river on the weekend, so back early (I seem to be breaking the drought/climate change where ever I go at present), which gave me plenty of time to scour the various blogs and websites to find out what I wanted to know.

regards
    craig

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

A friend of mine wrote a review of the Tenkara in the June issue on the website http://www.bloodknot.net

"Tenkara isn’t a rod – it’s a way. Come to it with an open mind. Don’t expect rock hard hook-sets or letting a fish run while you stand in one place. This system that comes “from the heavens” not surprisingly subdues the pride of man, leveling the playing field between the creatures at either end. Conform yourself to it instead of trying to conform it to your western sensibilities, and you’ll find an entirely new way to experience and enjoy fly fishing."

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools