Topic

GG Murmur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Murmur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

I just ordered the GG Murmur for my fiance and I for our SUL trips. We have been comparing with others designs like Z Packs, Fanatic Fringe, MLD, but finally went with the Murmur! I was curious about any feedback that had generated about this pack-as there are not many reviews that iv'e seen. It seems like the near perfect design;SUL,Great Price,and great features like ability to add un-worn articles to the shoulder straps for additional padding.How is it preforming out on the trail? Any likes or dislikes out there from current users?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I love this pack, and suspect ya'll will too.

It's the Whisper with all the features!
    No complaints at all.
    Hip belt is un-needed.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I don't like how wide the shoulder strap padding is and dislike putting clothing in there, so I used Glen Van Peski's advice on rolling up small bubble wrap for the shoulder padding. It is much better now.

I like the pack a lot but I would hate to have to use it in a shelter or hostel with sleeping people around–it has to be the noisiest pack in existance.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I love this pack and it does get more quiet with use. Just don't plan on putting it under your feet the first couple of times out if you're a restless sleeper!

kyle davis

@fta

Locale: mn, co

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I agree with Chris' comment about the hipbelt being unnecessary (it removes easily) but I use it because I've put two Gossamer Gear Large Hipbelt Pockets on it (one on each side). I've found that I really like having hipbelt pockets for easy access to snacks and other essentials.

GG modified them for me to fit the 1-inch hipbelt, but it would be an easy mod for anyone with a sewing machine.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Thanks to everyone who shared their input.Seems for the most part everyone is pretty stoked on this pack.Im looking forward to the nearly 10 oz weight reduction from my ULA Conduit.Plus my hikes lately have been only in the multi day range, so the 2,200 ci should be perfecto! After I get some miles logged i'll be sure to report my experiences with the Murmur.I'm planning a TRT hike(under 5 days) for June sometime and think the Murmur will my pack of choice-
    Later

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> I like the pack a lot but I would hate to have to use it in a shelter or hostel with sleeping people around–it has to be the noisiest pack in existance.

Only while new.
    Mine is nice and quiet now, as is my Whisper.
    The wide strap pads are my favorite feature of the Murmur.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

I was a big fan of the Whisper, and still enjoy mine. But I bought a Murmur because it added the two things I frequently found myself wishing for on the Whisper, namely the side pockets and the sleep pad pocket. Of those two, I find I like the sleep pad pocket the best. Either my GG Nightlight or my BPL Torsolite fits fine, doesn't slide around, and provides very adequate padding and stiffening for SUL loads.

The resulting pack is as those two guys in the Guinness ads would say, "Brilliant!"

I must say that the stock waistbelt was too short to encompass all of my midsection, prompting me to both go on a stricter diet, and buy a larger strap to replace the factory one. All joking aside, I've never had that problem with other light packs, like my REI Flash 18; why is GG so skimpy on the waistbelt length? A few of us are not wasp-waisted hyper-milers ya know!

Other than that very minor complaint, I love my Murmur and everything else that comes from Gossamer Gear. It's all first rate!

Michael

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> why is GG so skimpy on the waistbelt length?

I figured it was a subtle hint. wink smiley

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Man, now I gotta buy a murmur!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Michael,

I too am, how did you put it, "midsection challenged". The stock hipbelt fits me but I've never had to adjust it – It's at its max length and stays there.

I also think it unlikely that I'll ever be able to connect the sternum strap – that works for me because I don't care for them, but it's way too short for a broad guy like myself.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I removed the hip belt. With SUL weights, there isn't any need for it. I will probably get rid of the sternum strap too, no need for it. For really light loads (bw around 5lbs or less), this bag is perfect. I generally use my ULA conduit, but for weekends with mild weather and water sources, the Murmur is a dream.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools