Topic

3 season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

This is what I carried with me on an AT hike from springer to Unicoi Gap April 16-20. In Warmer weather I will drop the Capilene bottoms, Montbell down jacket and OR balaclava. The weather was great with nights in the mid 30's and days in the low 70's. I'm a bit of a cold sleeper so use the Capilene and sometimes down jacket for extra warmth when sleeping. I'm also trying to decide what I can do with this set up to make it winter worthy (in the southeast) with as little change as possible. I'm thinking a 15 or 20 degree bag, plus my extra clothing would be enough for most of the weather I would get in north Georgia and North Carolina where I do most of my hiking. I would also like to switch to some lighter poles, but need adjustability for the SMD wild oasis. Any suggestions on a super light adjustable pole. I really only need maybe six inches of adjustment room. Any suggestions? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
    edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that the list is in my profile.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Titanium goat or Gossamer Gear(when they're in stock).

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Sorry, realized advice wouldn't work with mentioned shelter.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

GG fixed length pole at 120 cm works fine as the center pole in a SMD Wild Oasis or Gatewood Cape.
    Shown in a Gatewod Cape which is very similar to the Wild Oasis:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2760015650045831896jNRYpD

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

I have considered using a fixed length, but enjoy the flexibility of being able to adjust the height of the shelter. I've also considered changing shelters to a spinn tarp or something that wouldn't be as limited by using a fixed pole. This would save me some weight too, but be pricey.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Fixed poles work in the SpinnTwinn also. You do not need to use the full height of the pole. In fact the rear pole needs to be only 32" off the ground. The guy line can be set at different height along the pole. The height can also be adjusted by changing the angle of the front pole as well. How do to all that is explained in the directions on the set up of the tarps.

In the left hand column at the Gossamer Gear site under the heading "Resources", click on "User Manuals"

SpinnTwinn: Note pole in rear is not used at ful height. Colored tape on poles allows guy line to be set at various heights. The poles are moved forward, set away from the tarp.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2619643130045831896QcHtQf

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Just saw that the BPL Stix are on sale for 54 bucks.At that prie I may as well try out the fixed length with my wild oasis, and if I don't like it switch to another shelter or another light adjustable pole. Thanks for the advice. I may go for the spinn twin. Also considering GG "the one."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools