Topic

alcohol stoves at philmont?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont alcohol stoves at philmont?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    john king
    Spectator

@johndking

I'm taking a crew to the Double H high adventure base, which is run by Philmont, in July and am considering taking two white box alcohol stoves vs. a canister stove. Are alcohol stoves allowed at Philmont?

Mack Regan

@jregan12

Locale: Southwest

I don't believe they are. I went to Philmont last summer and we just brought 2 whisperlite stoves and a bunch of canisters. We used about 6 canisters in the 12 days. Everyone carried 2 canisters. The food was fine and it was easy to work.

I'd go with the canister.

john king
    Spectator

@johndking

Thanks for the advice. I had been in 2005 and used canisters then. Will go that route again this year.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

John, I'm less certain about Double H. Are there backcountry commissaries there? At Philmont you resupply every 3-4 days. There's a small trading post at each commissary. We found isopropane fuel canisters available there.

For our 2 crews of 9, each used just over 3 canisters running 2 Windpro stoves for the entire Philmont trek. Our Venturing Crew will do the same this year.

Even if you don't resupply with food at Double H canister stoves seem to be a great solution for Scouts and cooking in large groups. Have a blast at Double H.

John Larson

@j-larson

bye bye

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Carefull everybody… c a r e f u l l ……

Deep Breath
    Deep Breath

maybe wait an hour or so….

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

@Greg – good words.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Too funny.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

huh? what? wow.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I would like to personally commend the hundreds of members who have shown admiral restraint over the past few hours.

Keep up the good work.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

When I read the post in question, I imbibed a bit of stove fuel (I like Everclear), and I felt much better. :vD

Stargazer

P. S. Please do not try this trick with white gas.

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

Doesn't alcohol evaporate when in noisy cannisters? They are like small fish – hey have gills through which they can see….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You shouldn't waste your time with ANY lightweight stove. Yeah, they're light and all, but you can't heat four pots at once AND bake at the same time. I took a HomeEc course in high school years ago. We tried them all. GE is the best. With the light inside so you can see what's baking. That's what I'd take. And a really, really big battery….

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That's interesting :)

RELUCTANTLY biting my tongue……
    Must…not….comment…just…leave…it…
    alone…

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Back to the original question.

Our ranger during our 2007 Trek used an alcohol pepsi can stove.

I do not think Philmont prevents anyone from using whatever stove they choose.

What Philmont controls is the fuel they resupply and the types of foods available to cook and therefore the cooking times and quantity of fuel needed.

You would have to do the math so see which was the better tradeoff, carrying alcohol for your entire trek vs resupplying with white case or isobutane canisters at the commissaries. And, as the earlier post noted, The Double H Ranch is not Philmont. The treks are shorter (7 days) and there are probably no backcountry commissaries that sell fuel.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Fully realizing that it's a radical suggestion, I still have to suggest that since it hasn't (yet) been definitively answered here perhaps the O.P. could submit the question to Philmont H.Q. and share the response.

Our troop's experience has been that they DO respond … maybe not in hours, but with nine months b4 the trek there's little rush.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Actually the OP was back in May. The white gas fanboy resurrected the thread- apparently just to annoy us. :o) The Philmont trip in question has probably been and gone already…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Deep Breath
    Deep Breath….

John Larson

@j-larson

I can't PM you privately because you do not have an email address registered, so this will have to be public.
    BPL tries very hard to maintain a friendly environment in the Forums, especially in channels such as these Boy Scout ones. (We are a bit more tolerant in the Chaff channel.)

I am becoming a bit concerned at the very aggressive and abrasive nature of the postings you have made in a number of our channels. I am sure you could phrase them in a more friendly manner? Please.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Sigh.

How about, stop posting and start hiking? ;-)

Or in my case, stop posting and get back to work. ;vD

With great love and respect,

Stargazer

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"How about, stop posting and start hiking? ;-)

Or in my case, stop posting and get back to work. ;vD"

But what if I'm posting from my iPhone on the trail! :-)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

FYI for those who see this thread in the future, the 2010 GSS no longer allows "homemade" alcohol stoves and alcohol isn't a recommended fuel. Sigh.

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Where can the 2010 GSS be found? I just got off scouting.org and their version is still 2007.

Thanks in advance.

Curt

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Here is a link to the reference to alcohol stoves.
    http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss07.aspx
    It is a 12/2009 update to the 2007 version which when printed will be the 2010 version (or 2011 on the BSA time table…)
    "Prohibited Chemical-Fueled Equipment—Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or …."

Doug Parker

@buffaloskipper

Locale: Gulf Coast

Very straightforward question: Are alcohol stoves prohibited at Philmont?

I understand that G2SS states no: modified, homemade, etc stoves. That is not my question. There are some manufactured, purpose built alcohol stoves on the market. I also understand that denatured alcohol is not a recomended fuel in the G2SS (but based on what I have read about the quality of Philmont's white gas, it could be clasified in this category as well). I also understand that Philmont does not supply alcohol. So back to my original question:

Are alcohol stoves prohibited at Philmont?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools