Topic

Learning from Ken’s Ordeal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Learning from Ken’s Ordeal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Simon Winchell

@simonwm

I stand corrected. I guess it's a lot drier down there then up here in new england.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I'll agree that we do get wildfires from time to time in the southern apps. Once in I think 99 or 00 the entire AT in GA was pretty much on fire. More recently parts of the BMT were closed due to forest fires. But it's NOTHING like it is out west.

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

Scott said:

"I have a question about starting a brush fire to be located. I have never heard of this as a survival technique when lost. I have heard of signal fires but never lighting an out of control blaze".

I remember an outfitter in Northern Ontario telling us to start a fire if we ran into problems. "It is good for the economy". I suspect there was some truth to this statement because we were as far north as one could go without flying. No radio, no roads to cross, off the flight path and about 100 miles from any form of help. Yes, a fire would be good for this extremely small community whose young, and I mean young children, stagger around drunk from huffing gasoline. A fire would temporary bring much to this community.

Needless to say, I was speechless and was not about to start a fire, especially in a foreign country. It was a relief to get out of town and into the bush!

Amy Reid
    BPL Member

@marmot8

Locale: central Sierra

Keep in mind that you can be held civilly, ciminally and financially responsible for any wildland fire that you start in the US (don't know about other countries). You may be forced to pay restitution for the cost of putting the fire out or for any property damaged/destroyed as a result of said fire.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools