Topic

East Canada/USA – black flies everywhere?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion East Canada/USA – black flies everywhere?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stephan schulteq

@stephan1848

hey there,

im from Germany and a friend of mine and me are planning to go to Canada/USA for some backpacking/hiking/canoeing and so on.

We will be going at the end of may till mid june, destination is Toronto.

We wanted to go to Algonquin or Adirondack but then found out that those places will be targeted by those black flies … and because wearing long stuff and trying to avoid getting bit doesnt seem like much fun were looking for something else now.

Do you guys know any places we can go instead and avoid those bugs at that time of the year? Are there any cool parks/landscapes/areas that are nice to aim for with a tent and a backpack?

peace

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

If it's not the black flies. it will be the mosquitoes. The bugs can get downright nasty north of the city. I've conditioned myself to deal with them, but I have friends that refuse to camp during the high bug season.
    I got your PM, and Algonquin and such will have bugs.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

We don't camp (backpack or paddle) at the end of May until the very end of June. The bugs can be downright hellish.

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

Black flies in the Adirondacks will eat you alive regardless of clothing from May through June. I cannot speak for further north.

–scott

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

If it is any indication, South River (near Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park) has an annual blackfly hunt in late May or June (can't remember the exact date). It's a quirky little contest and festival which gives you some insight into how awful those biters can be.

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

I was In Perth and Ottawa last week working at two Provincial Parks, The black flies were so thick you had to part them with your hands just to see ahead.

Oh well.

Tomorrow I am in Algonquin.

Can you smell a Hike, I can.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools