Topic

Asolo Lander 476 gm mid-height boot vs. Dunham 430 gm boot.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Asolo Lander 476 gm mid-height boot vs. Dunham 430 gm boot.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

This 476 gram mid-height boot looks very interesting. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_det.php?area=3&catid=8&itemid=39

In the US, only MooseJaw is selling it online

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Asolo-Men-s-Lander-Boot_10090829____?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Asolo-Men-s-Lander-Boot&ad_id=GoogleBase

I wonder if it wears wide similar to Keen boots or if it wears narrow similar to Inov8 boots. My street shoe is 8.5 EEEE but my Keen hiking boots are 9.5 Regular (Man's size) but the Inov8 370 boots I need a size 10 to get the width I want. I am only 90 percent happy with the Keen, am training with the Inov8 370 boots but would like to also train with one other boot that is under 1.1 pound apiece and is mid-height and the Lander looks interesting.

Another boot interesting me is the Dunham 826 Vestige mid-height boot (MCR826BR) which is 430 grams and mid-height and comes in 4E widths too.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?type=MNFTOTHI&style=MCR826BR

I know how well Dunham boots fit so my questions about "fit" are for the Asolo but I'd like feedback on both boots if any have used them. If you've worn any Asolo mid-height boots, how do you think they fit more like (Keen or Inov8)?

Thanks.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Bump, has no one tried these two lightweight mid-height boots?

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I haven't tried either of those specific boots, but each company tends to work an a similar last size for all of it's productions. If this is true, then based on my experience with both these brands, you would find the Asolo to be much narrower in the toe box than the Dunham.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I ordered and received both boots. I was not impressed with the Dunham boots (this model, I like many of their other shoes). I was very impressed with the Asolo Lander. I compared them to 3 other Asolo boots and other competitor mid-height boots (all under 24 oz apiece) at REI for 2-3 hours and found the Asolo Lander boots fit better and feel more comfortable than the other Asolo boots. It seems that different Asolo models are wider than others, such than the regular width Lander (they do not have an official wide width for the Lander model) is as wide or wider than the official wide width Asolo FSN 95 GTX Hiking Boots. Next I need to take them out on a good hike. I'll update later but so far I am impressed.

PS – the size 9.5 regular Asolo Lander boot weighs 20.5 oz apiece, not bad for a boot of that caliber. The lightest weight REI Asolo boot was 24.0 oz of the same size.

Greg Schaefer

@geschaef

Roleigh, Your review seems to be the only one on this boot on the internet with any detail. Wonder why. I'd appreciate knowing two things about this boot. One, is it overkill for light day hikes or does it cover light to moderate hikes well in terms of flexibility and stability? Two, the liner is Cambrelle. No Gore-tex or eVent in this model apparently. How well does it keep your feet dry from sweat and outside moisture? Thank you!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Yup, I had tried on the Landers, seemed like a good boot for the weight, but they fit larger than others from Asolo. In the past I've found that Asolos tend to error toward a mid-volume foot, but the Landers definitely felt more large-volume…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I can't comment on their utility yet as I just received mine today :) I have a upcoming trip so I can probably shed some more light soon.

In a Men's size 9 they are 19.7 oz which is consistent w/ Roleigh's weighing

here's the Asolo's they are replacing

Photobucket

a whopping 2+ lbs!

the Lander's

Photobucket

nearly a full lb off :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I checked it out on MooseJaw's site. No W/P breathable membrane in the Asolo Lander so it's off my short list. I'm looking at Lowa's Bora GTX lined boot for a UL backpacking boot.

Eric

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I purposely selected the Lander because of the lack of Gortex (they make an identical boot that is Gortex), it's getting tougher and tougher to find a Gortex free boot/shoe. I find Gortex a little warm in the summer, also find that if it's really wet- your shoes are going to get wet anyways- Gortex takes a lot longer to dry out. My personal experience is that w/ a lot of use the membrane wears in spots and those areas get wet.

I know a lot of folks like it (and I do like it in a winter boot), but I look for non-gortex boots for "summer" and they are getting harder and harder to find.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Greg asked "Roleigh, Your review seems to be the only one on this boot on the internet with any detail. Wonder why. I'd appreciate knowing two things about this boot. One, is it overkill for light day hikes or does it cover light to moderate hikes well in terms of flexibility and stability? Two, the liner is Cambrelle. No Gore-tex or eVent in this model apparently. How well does it keep your feet dry from sweat and outside moisture? Thank you!"

These might be a little "overkill" for day hiking- if your day hiking in pretty rough terrain then maybe not.

I got back from a four trip w/ them, covering a wide variety of terrain- easy trail to not so easy off trail and I'm impressed w/ the boots. As mentioned there is no membrane w/ these boots, so getting your feet wet is more likely, the flip side is once wet they dry relatively quickly. These boots breath wonderfully and never got hot (despite some rather warm temps and some rather steep grades). It's possible as my load gets even lighter (I'm at a 12-13 # base) that I may go to let a lighter boot, but as posted above these weigh almost half what previous boots do and it's obvious on the trail- maybe more importantly I don't feel like I'm giving up anything in the rougher stuff w/ these boots- they offer lots of support and plenty stiff.

Maybe not the choice for many UL/SUL, but if your more in the LW camp, approaching UL- these may be the cat's pajama's :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools