Topic

Future Gear List?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Future Gear List?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

Alright guys, the time has come to make my lightweight transition.
    I'm 6'2 and slim, about 175. Hiking primarily from spring to fall in the rainy and humid southeast, i.e. Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.
    After hours of research here's what I think I'm going for. Give me your advise, if you don't mind.

Western Mountaineering Summerlite (long) sleeping bag

Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy (with full net hood)

MLD Grace Solo Spinntex EXP tarp

ULA Conduit pack

and BPL Stix trekking poles

Thanks, Dan

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Your list seems to be well into the zone of good choices for gear preferences on these forums. WM bags are always a top choice (I have two).

If you are interested, I have a TiGoat Raven bivy (the "large" size Ptarmigan) with full net hood and side zip that is brand new (never used except indoors for pictures). I'm looking to sell it (PM for details if you want to know more).

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Are you choosing the Komperdell poles because of price? Because both TiGoat and GG makes poles that weigh half as much, but do cost more. The GG are out of stock right now, and cost twice as much, but the Tigoat's are only about 50% more than the Komperdell's on sale. I just ask because your list is really good and as long as you're spending the money on something like a Summerlite, wouldn't you just go ahead and spend the extra $40-50 to get the lightest pair of poles posssible? I understand if you used up your budget before you got to poles though.

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Wow, yeah I like the look of the TiGoats. However, the GG's are slightly less adjustable, which would give me less adjustability with the hight of my tarp. Thanks for the heads up on these poles though.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

NICE Choices Dan but…

Have you considered that you can wrap some duct tape around a non adjustable pole to hold guylines for your tarp, and have some to use in case of on trail repairs, emergencies, etc. I've recently started hiking with BPL Stix and they are amazing!! @ 4 oz's a pole their SUL and not a budget breaker-that preform on and off the trail great. I haven't had any probs pitching my tarp at mutiple heights, so they may be a consideration for you.

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

I love the idea of the single piece. Every review I read of any adjustable's has at least one person complaining of the poles slipping and not locking properly. Thanks for that Aaron.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Yeah no problem! I was considering the collapsible pole idea, but have had way too many problems in the past with poles not staying extended to my settings; especially in colder environments like snow shoeing or xx skiing. The single piece carbon fiber poles IMO are the way to GO!

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Now, this leads to me another problem…how do I determine an appropriate length pole? Living in Tampa, FL limits my outdoor stores to Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authority, neither of which have anyone staffed that knows much about hiking. Nor do I recall ever seeing trekking poles in either of the two stores.
    So is there a cardinal rule for trekking pole length? Or is it solely based on personal preference? A combination of the two I assume?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Generally your arms should be bent at 90 degrees when holding the poles.

Some of us are short and have to extend our poles when we set up our tarps. Make sure before you select a fixed-length pole you're not too short.

I tried the Lightreks and quickly learned that the tightening mechanism is simple enough to force into submission when it misbehaves.

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

I think at 6'2 I'll be ok ; ) …perhaps one of the only times I'm happy to be tall when it comes to hiking. Thanks for the advice.
    So basically the poles should reach my elbow, maybe a little taller, when held to my body?

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Height Pole Size
    ft.in. inches cm
    2'9''-3'0'' 30'' 75cm
    3'1''-3'4'' 32'' 80cm
    3'5''-3'8'' 34'' 85cm
    3'9''-4'0'' 36'' 90cm
    4'1''-4'4'' 38'' 95cm
    4'5''-4'8'' 40'' 100cm
    4'9''-5'0'' 42'' 105cm
    5'1''-5'3'' 44'' 110cm
    5'4''-5'6'' 46'' 115cm
    5'7''-5'9'' 48'' 120cm
    5'10''-6'0'' 50'' 125cm
    6'1''-6'3'' 52'' 130cm
    6'4''-6'6'' 54'' 135cm
    6'7''-+ 56'' 140cm

VIOLA!

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

YES! Thanks man.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools