Topic

KEN KNIGHT IS MISSING ON APPALACHIAN TRAIL IN VA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info KEN KNIGHT IS MISSING ON APPALACHIAN TRAIL IN VA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

*** URGENT ***

Backpacking Light editor KEN KNIGHT is missing after a hike on the Applachian Trail in Virginia.

If you saw Ken or otherwise know of his whereabouts after Sunday morning, please contact us at the following email address:

[email protected]

About Ken

Ken is 5'4" tall and approx. 180-200 lb. He is vision impaired, has dark hair, and is probably using a dry bag-style pack with an orange packbag.

Ken is an experienced AT hiker but his vision impairment may have caused him to lose the trail.

Point Last Seen

He was last seen on the AT on Sunday morning, around 9-10am, at Punchbowl Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, mile 51.7, in the area of Buchanan and Bedford, Virginia.

He'd been trailing behind a group and meeting up with them at their camp sites. On Sunday, he reported not feeling well and suggested he
    might go off the trail. The group did not see him since leaving Punchbowl Mountain on Sunday.

He was anticipated to reach mile 76.3 on Tuesday, which the rest of the group did. To date, he has not arrived, and he has missed his flight back home to Michigan Wednesday night.

Ken regularly blogs via iPhone when he has cellular coverage. His last known blog entry was Sunday morning, April 26, at 6:36 AM Eastern:

http://twitter.com/kenknight

Search in Progress

Ken's family has been notified, and a search is currently in progress by NPS and VA State SAR.

Non-agency SAR and other volunteers interested in assisting with this search should contact us at [email protected], who is coordinating the efforts of outside volunteers with the SAR Coordinator on location. Please send your name, cellular phone number, and distance from SNP in your message, and then wait for further instructions.

Please Distribute This Info

Please distribute a link to this post as wide as possible via this tinyurl link via Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking avenues. Please copy and paste this exact text to retweet this info on Twitter etc.:

EMERGENCY @KENKNIGHT (KEN KNIGHT) MISSING ON A.T. IN VA: http://tinyurl.com/ded5tt INFO? EMAIL [email protected] RT @BIGSKYRY

I am in contact with the NPS Ranger and the VA State SAR, the agencies responsible for the search and will relay info promptly them.

Best Regards,
    Ryan Jordan
    CEO Backpacking Light

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I wish I could do more, but my thoughts and prayers are with Ken and his family.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Ryan, have you posted this on White Blaze? Ali

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

N/M

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Someone did Ali, I added the last known location info to the post.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Ryan, I just found the posting on white blaze. If he doesnt show up today you should consider contacting Tom Brown Jr at http://www.trackerschool.com he is in New Jersey and one of the best trackers in the world. Ali

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Ali: feel free to post a link to this thread at Whiteblaze, or anywhere else. I'll be the point person to manage communications from BPL's channels including backpackinglight.com, twitter.com/backpacking and twitter.com/bigskyry, and FB. Thanks.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Done.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

James, may I use your photo to add to an event distribution post on Facebook, to show who Ken Knight is? It might help people look for him. Thanks.

Facebook Event Post for Ken Knight Search

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Miguel, use the photo here:

It's a photo from the trek showing his pack and clothing that he's wearing. He'll probably be a little scruffier, but his beard doesn't grow too fast.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

N/A

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i work with MD DNR and will send a message to the South Mountain Recreation Area (they handle the AT in MD) to be on the look out for his gear if i can get a description beyond what has been posted here. i hope he is ok and holed up off trail somewhere.

UPDATE:
    i have emailed the info and picture to our AT folks and it should be up to the Ridge Runner at Annapolis Rocks today.

-Steve

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

I just posted the original message to [email protected]. We have several members in VA.

If my school/work E-mail blocks the message, I will resend it tonight from home.

Good Luck, Ken!

Rosaleen

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ken comes into our Ann Arbor shop somewhat regularly; I've printed pertinent info from this thread and posted his pic on our community message board. All in all, I realize that probably won't help… It would be great if outfitters along the AT could do the same, though.

Fingers crossed-
    Brad

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Thoughts and prayers coming from Oregon here.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I'm looking for Ken's hiking partners.

I'm most interested in folks who have been hiking with Ken on multiple trips, over the span of many months/years.

If you meet these criteria, please drop us a note at [email protected] with your phone number, email address, and a brief description of your experience with Ken, so we can put VA SAR in touch with you for an interview.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

copied this to the Whiteblaze thread also.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This may be of use:

Rather than rangers, try contacting a county police department for help. They should be able to track his cell phone signal (no matter if it is on or off) despite the strength of it. We've had many people tracked this way.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Yes, I hope someone is working on this possibility. They were able to track the climbers' on Mt. Hood a few years back even in a snow storm…..

If he has his iphone on, this could be a big help in locating him. (If he has a new iphone, the GPS will work regardless of whether he has a signal.)

Rob Speiden

@speiden

Hikers,
    I am a member of a Virginia SAR tracking team, and am currently on standby to respond to the search effort for Ken. One thing that would help significantly is to know what brand of boot he is wearing. Does anyone know what type of boots he wears and/or have a picture of him showing his boots, the outsole would be ideal.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

We are thinking of Ken and sending lots of positive vibes for his safe return home.

Hang in there everyone.

Bryan and I have posted this on the front page of our outdoor adventure site. Although it is Canadian we do have several American hikers there. I will also post the information, as promised, on my blogs and other sites throughout the course of the evening.

If anyone can think of anything else we can do to help please let me know.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Emailed Rob.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I didn't see a post on Sgt Rock's Hiking HQ, so I posted there. http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4360

Not much use posting on our Pacific NW forums, so I didn't.

Gregory Knight

@gregoryknight

I am Ken's brother, Greg. As has been said, Ken is a very capable and experienced hiker.

Because he has been missing and not heard from in so many days, at this point we are quite concerned that something bad has happened.

I wanted to let you all know how much we appreciate anything you do to help find Ken.

with appreciation,

Greg

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

My prayers and thoughts. Let's hope this ends well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools