Topic

summer quilt for north east

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) summer quilt for north east

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Keller
    Spectator

@gregkeller

Looking for recommendations for a summer weight quilt for northeast/mid atlantic area. Really wouldn't need anything for less than 50 degrees. I've got an older 2lb 30 degree marmot bag, but if i could get something a little lighter and more versatile than the bag it would be nice.

I've looked at the nunatak arc edge which seems great at 12 oz, but i guess it should be for the price. Also looked at the jacks r better, the shenandoah is on sale. A little heavier, sew through construction, but about half the price.

Are these two brands pretty close on their temp ratings? I've never used a quilt before, so think a summer weight would be a good place to start. I'd be using it on the ground, do you put anything ontop of your sleeping pad to help with that clammy feeling of foam on bare skin? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

MLD Spirit Quilt is another option. I don't have experience with it (yet) but MLD gear is highly rated

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm in PA and use a BPL UL60 Quilt during the summer. I'm very comfortable in it in just a T-shirt with temps down into the 50's. I used it two weeks ago and the temperature went down to 41 at night – I had to pull on my Montbell EX Down Jacket that night.

Gregory Keller
    Spectator

@gregkeller

how small does the BPL quilt pack down to? I was leaning towards down just for the compressability factor, but that quilt at only 11 or 12 ounces would be great if it packs down to at least as small as my current 32 degree 725 fill power marmot bag i'd probably pull the trigger on it. For that price it gives me an idea if i would like a quilt without having to shell out mega bucks on a summer sleep system.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Greg,

When I first used it I put it in a Sea-to-Summit 2L Ultra-Sil drybag (21 grams). It fit and wasn't much larger than my hand but I was afraid that I was compressing it too much. I've since switched to a 4L drybag which works really well. I'm guessing that it's about 5x6x3" compressed and closed. I hope that helps.

Gregory Keller
    Spectator

@gregkeller

That's awesome. I really didn't expect it to pack up that small. I might just have to give it a try.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Although you can't see it, it's compressed inside my Gossamer Gear Murmur pack in the photo. It really does shrink down to next to nothing – I was astounded when I first held it.

I bought the long version and am really comfortable under the quilt. Just for reference, I'm a big guy (250 lbs) and have not had any problems with drafts leaking in under the edges. I do put the loop under my torso-sized pad.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

I really like my Jacks R Better Shenandoah quilt for summer use.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm#Shenandoah

Very comfortable and packs down to nothing!

Dan

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Pro 60 Quilt in stuff sackBPL PRO 60 Quilt

Heres a few pics of my Pro 60 Quilt- I love mine! it's simple, UL, and has a great price that makes it that much better. I never compress mine though- instead i have it lofted open in my pack to protect the insulation;depends on the load im carrying, usually near the bottom. Most of my experience with it is in the Cascades(Oregon) and has been a excellent choice for all adventures above 35!

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Greg

If you are interested in a UL60, I have one in regular.

I bought it for my son, ended up getting a long.

Thanks Jim

Joseph Denis

@egoscue

Locale: Outside!

Hi Jim,

I am very interested your UL 60 Regular! How much are you asking for it?

Gregory Keller
    Spectator

@gregkeller

After weighing options, i went for the jacks r better shenandoah. Ultimately, the 800 fill power down, the compressibility of it, the temp rating, and the fact it was on sale caused me to pull the trigger on it. I really liked the nunatak, but the reports of a pretty small footbox and the price just made it hard to justify for a summer quilt. The BPL was a good option, but the fact that it was rated to 60 degrees worried me because i figured my nights would probably be around that, and any degredation of the artificial fibers would cause a loss of much needed insulation. So hopefully the JRB summer quilt will be the correct choice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools