Topic

Gravity filter pre-filter effectivness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gravity filter pre-filter effectivness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

This trip out I decided I would try to investigate the effectiveness (or lack there of) of my pre-filter setup in my gravity system.

I'm currently using a Platy CleanStream cartridge, but also used the exact same type of system with the Frontier Pro filter.

With the Frontier Pro, I just put a 3/4" piece of hose on the intake (inside the bag) to facilitate a silt settling area of water that would remain in the bag. With the CleanStream, I just left the long hose barb sticking up in the bag.
    hose barb in bag

Here is an example of what gets left in the bag from clear creek water. It would probably be more efficient, the longer it was left to settle.
    silt in bag

To catch the stuff that doesn't settle, the Frontier Pro comes with a few little round chunks of fiber-fill looking stuff that goes between the intake parts. In my CleanStream bag, I put a chunk of the same stuff in between the two hose barb adapters that screw together on the inside and outside of the bag.

Here's what it looks like after 3 long weekend trips… same water conditions.

dirty pre filter

Ok, that's all. Thought it might be mildly interesting.

Edit:
    Sorry for the lighting in that last pic. Should have used a flash.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools