Topic

Gila Box packrafting trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Gila Box packrafting trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Following my Grand Enchantment Trail hike this spring I finally found the opportunity to explore a couple of the desert rivers that flow nearby.

The canyons of the San Francisco and Gila rivers are close companions of the GET for a number of miles, but in this vicinity and at this time of year, both are typically best floated rather than hiked. Show up a week or two late though, as I did, (or too early) and a packrafting trip such as this becomes a bit more, well, interesting…

Photo essay (starts at slideshow frame 1)

Video (select HQ video for best viewing)

Next time I'll try to muster a compadre or two and pass around the camera a bit (preferably a waterproof model)!

All in all, a very worthwhile trip through seldom-seen country with plenty of drifting solitude and watchable wildlife. The perfect companion adventure to an eastbound GET hike from Safford to Clifton.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools