Topic

Inov-8 Talon 212 Is the weight a worthy trade-off?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inov-8 Talon 212 Is the weight a worthy trade-off?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I tried out my Inov-8 X-Talon 212 shoes this weekend, on a 40 mile hike through varied and rocky terrain in temperatures approaching 90 degrees.

I'll be comparing these to my most used Inov-8 Roclite 285, since they are very similar.

Appearance:
    I think they look sharp. I've never had another hiker comment on my footwear before this weekend.
    They appear to be constructed almost entirely of a fine grey mesh. They even look a little delicate.
    Inov-8 Roclite and Talon front
    Looks can be deceiving, and as such is really my only complaint about these shoes.

Breathability:
    When I got them out of the box, I realized that they weren't really mesh. Well maybe of a sort, but not what we normally refer to as mesh.

My experience seemed to back-up my impression, in that they really don't breath all that well. Better than many, but no where near as good as the Roclite 285.

To show this, I placed my light inside both shoes.
    Inov-8 Talon and light

In a dark room, camera on manual, (shutter 8 sec, f 5.60) so that the auto exposure wouldn't try to properly expose the light coming through the mesh, I got this result:
    talon 212 mesh
    Virtually no light came through. The light in the upper center is escaping around the edge of the tongue.
    Compared to the Roclite 285, there is no comparison!roclite mesh
    The Roclites look pretty porous in that pic, but I never get sand or dirt through the mesh.

I hike in very thin sock liners only, and my feat sweated a little more than I've been accustomed to in the Roclites, but not nearly enough to cause concern. The real problem is that they don't drain or dry fast enough.

The material does seem to be very tough, and doesn't feel fragile at all.

Fit and feel:

I thought they felt a little confining in the toe box at first, but that went away quickly. I normally wear a US size 9 and ordered these (like my Roclites) in 9.5 and that is fine. Both shoes are narrow and hold your foot firmly over the sole. May take a little getting used to for some (and many order a whole size up to compensate).
    The cut and fit seem to be virtually identical between these two models.

I was actually surprised at how similar both shoes fit and performed (breathabilty issues aside), but the Talon 212 was noticeably lighter.

The X-Talon has one fewer eyelet than the Roclite and doesn't keep the tongue opening closed as well. Tends to bulge open a little between the first and second from the toe.

Weight:
    While I noticed the weight difference instantly when I laced them up, it was not as much as I expected. As you can see in the pictures, I have installed Lock Laces on both shoes. I weighed them first but can't find the data, sorry.
    Here are the weights with Lock Laces and the stock insoles.
    Roclite 285 – 274g
    X-Talon 212 – 241g
    I don't understand the discrepancy in manufacturers specs here. The stock laces weigh about 3g and the Lock Laces weigh about 7g each, so that doesn't account for it. The insoles are different, about 3 grams heavier in the X-Talons. I like them better. Granted the ones in my Roclites are worn out, but they were never as nice as the ones on the X-Talons. I would like to order a set (the 6mm insoles are in the X-Talons).

Soles:
    The soles are also very similar:
    Talon and Roclite soles

The intermediate layer appears to be the same density and thickness, and the black sticky rubber appears to be the same. I could tell no difference between the two models as far as sticking to wet rocks on stream crossings. Both are absolutely fantastic in that department.

They both have the same groove in the sole to facilitate bending at the ball of the foot, but I wouldn't really call them flexible. They are fairly rigid and resistant to torsional twisting.

The tread "studs" are fewer and spread further apart on the X-Talons, making for a more aggressive design, but otherwise they appear to be of the same depth. I expect that this will impact the life span of the soles on the X-Talons. In the photo, remember that the Roclites have about 500 miles on them and the X-Talons only have about 40.

Longevity:
    I don't expect an extended lifespan out of any shoe with a sole as soft and sticky as these two models, but I think the trade off is worth it. High performance tires, with a stickier tread compound perform better, but wear faster. Particularly, the X-Talons, with their widely spaced, aggressive tread, would not fair well on asphalt, before being ground away to nothing!

The toe cap on the Roclite seems tougher and the heel cup seems more solid than on the X-Talons… perhaps that's where the weight was cut.

I have not had ANY construction problems with the Roclite 285 shoes (and expect none with the X-Talons), and if I can get new insoles, they will be my shoe of choice again.

In my case, the weight difference is not enough to justify the difference in breathabilty, and my perceived drying time, with the fit and traction being virtually identical.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Chris,

How does the 285 work as a lightweight, trail-running trainer? I was hoping to get something fairly light for 5K runs on well-traveled, non-technical trails. I was looking at both the 212 and 230 but wasn't sure whether they were too unconstructed.

Wiia

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

I think that the Roclite 285 would be very hard to beat, unless you are a runner that requires more underfoot cushion.
    Not that great of a picture, but you can tell that they aren't really "layed over" or anything after all that use.

Also, I don't think the 212 would be too unconstructed at all, even for more technical trails, assuming you might need the more aggressive tread. They firmly hold your foot in place, unlike something like a Nike Free for example.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Great info thanks. Have you used any other of the Inov8s that you could compare the 212's to? I'm tempted, but I think they're going to be too narrow for me.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Sorry, Adrian… I haven't.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I ordered a pair of the Roclite 315s and the 310s from Zappos. The 315s fit super small for me. I normally wear 12 1/2 to 13, I think I would have needed a 14 in the 315s.

The 310s fit great. I swapped the 315s for the 212s. The 212s definitely fit more narrow than the 310s. I took my little family on a dayhike this last weekend into the Narrows in the Wichita Falls Mountains wearing the 310s.

WF Mountains Narrows

The 310s provided plenty of grip and seemed to grip as well as my old hardrocks on wet rock. I was carrying my MLD Ark with raingear and light insulating gear for 5 plus 5 water bottles. Along with the Ark I had 90% of the time my 25 pound daughter on my shoulders as well.

I have not worn the 212s any wear but on concrete and asphalt but they seem almost grippier than the 310s. They feel like the rubber used on the 5.10 and La Sportiva guide style of shoes. The fit feels slightly more narrow than the 310s or 315s. The best way I can describe them is soft shell gloves for your feet.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Yes, they arrived this afternoon. I ordered two different sizes and figured I would return the one that didn't fit. I'm normally a 9.5 in a shoe so I ordered a 10 and 10.5.

When they arrived I couldn't wait to try them on. I first one I tried was the size 10 and it cocooned my foot. It felt tight in the forefoot and I was disappointed. I then switched to the 10.5 which was also a tad tight but too long. Bummer. I boxed both back up but before I returned them I thankfully called Inov-8.

The people who work their are awesome. They use their products, and really know their products, and have spent whatever time I needed on the phone on several occasions. Well, the young lady told me she has a pair of the 212s, had to wear them around the house for a while and suggested I give that a try. I did. Voila! After 30 minutes the shoes felt like they were part of my feet.

Just returned from a run and they were awesome. Light as a feather and they were so darn comfortable as I ran. It felt like I was breezing along on air rather than clunking along with heavy clodhoppers.

I can't say enough about the 212s. The most comfortable running shoe I've ever worn, bar none. We'll see how long it lasts, but, that it a distant second to the performance and comfort it affords me.

If you buy this shoe, do yourself a favor. If it feels tight when you try it on, be sure to wear them around for an hour or so. I think you'll be glad you did.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'm finding the same thing with the roclite 295s. They felt tight in a 12, and too long in a 12.5. But after wearing the 12s around my apt for half an hour, I stopped noticing the tightness in them. It's possible it's because its a different style of shoe than I've worn before, or maybe I was just being hypersensitive to fit, but they feel pretty good now.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

I tried to address that a little bit in my post.
    I think maybe they stretch a little to conform to your feet… in addition to becoming accustomed to the sleeker fit.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Any idea/experiences with how these might perform on wet rocks/slabs and when rock hoping across streams?

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I happened to hike with them on Thursday and I did a hike that was straight up on rocks. Almost the entire trail was wet, and many of the rocks had green algae, but the shoes performed very well. In some spots nothing would have held short of suction cups. I didn't have to cross any streams so I can't comment how they would perform submerged.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> Any idea/experiences with how these might perform on wet rocks/slabs and when rock hoping across streams?

The rubber is extremely soft and sticky, and they perform exceedingly well on wet rocks.

I have made many wet rock crossing with both the 212 and the 285, and the confidence they inspire after several wet crossings is amazing… you start to feel like spider man!

Wet wood, like dark, slimy foot bridges or angled, slick, barkless roots? No way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools