Topic

Backpacking in Canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Hi Folks,

I am heading to Toronto for a workshop this summer, and I am looking somewhere within 3 hours of my drive path (from IN) for a trip, preferrably a decent 50-100km loop. I haven't been able to find places on the web that recommend good places to backpack in Canada, and I know there are trails out there. Are there any good websites out there that give trail tips for Canadian provinces? If not, anyone have any recommendations for the southeast corner of Ontario, preferably west of Toronto? I've seen Bruce trail info, that Algonquin park trip report, etc, but a website for future reference would be great, if there is one out there.

Thanks!

CM

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Christopher,
    I actually live in Toronto so you don't need a website, you just need me! Assuming you will be crossing over from Detroit? I can tell you that you won't pass anything spectacular and there are very few "loops" of any decent distance in the southern region. The real good stuff is a few hours north of Toronto. But, if you absolutely need something on that route, you can catch the Start of the Bruce Trail from Niagara falls and hike along until you want to stop (it's something like 700km long). This section is nice but it is really close to the highway/cities so you have to cross some roads and may not get the secluded feeling of some other parks. There are some designated camp areas but it is best to stealth as they are few and far between.
    Algonquin park is nice…personally, I never go there as it tends to be busy and it really isn't anything to write home about. I think it's too close to the city so it just gets all the regulars.
    If you can search for my trip reports somehow on this site, they are all within a days drive from Toronto so they are options too, but most are not 50-100 km.
    And, just so you know, the "La Cloche Silhouette Trail' in 'Killarney Provincial Park' is the best trail within a few hours from Toronto, it is quite beautiful and the park is my favorite. I would recommend this trail to you but it is about 4 hours north of Toronto.
    If you have any questions, just let me know. You can ask super specific questions aswell…I've backpacked here my whole life!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Christopher,

There is a website/forum at http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/forum where you should be able to get some information on this part of Canada.

The Upper Bruce Peninsula section of the Bruce Trail is quite rugged and pretty. The Ganaraska Trail has some opportunities. La Cloche has already been mentioned and there is also the Western Uplands in Algonquin. With Algonquin it is better to access away from Highway 60. It can be a very nice hike especially in the fall. Loop trails are a little bit harder to find and Southern Ontario is quite heavily populated.

Hope that helps.

James Horner

@jbob19

Locale: Ontario

I Just finished a 60 km loop through Algonquin Park's western upland trail. I did it with my hiking buddy who lives in Toronto and his drive to the trail head was 3 hours.

Had a great time, scenery was beautiful, only saw two other guys on the trail, saw three moose (one at 15 yds).

I am looking at doing the Killarney Park trail soon so its good to hear that Steve really likes it.

Good luck

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey James,
    Sounds like a nice trip…
    I'm just posting this as after re-reading my post, I felt I was too hard on Algonquin. It is a beautiful park and definitely an option. It is close to the city so therefore can be somewhat busier then other parks further away. Good thing about the park is that there are a bunch of intersecting trails so you can kind of make your own loop.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Here's another vote for La Cloche Silhouette Trail' in 'Killarney Provincial Park'. I hiked this '100 km' trail last September (it's actually about 85kms or 53 miles) and it's unreal!

Me and a buddy did it in 5 days….we passed a lot of people (7 days is recommended) but we got passed on day 3 but 2 guys doing the entire thing in one day!

Algonquin is great too but Killarney seems more remote.

Here's a couple photo's to get you drooling:

killarney1killareny2beaver damfox on silver peaklookout

David Ure

@familyguy

Is THAT the wrong part of Canada to be in….come out west to the Rockies and let us blow your mind ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools