Topic

tilley hats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tilley hats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

What's your favorite model?
    Also do the brims hold up well under rain or humidity or do they get floppy?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I use the Airflow model, which has mesh ventilation just below the crown. Does okay in light rain, but in heavy rain I would imagine water would get in through the mesh. When it rains hard, I strap it to my pack and wear my poncho sans hat.

Can't speak to humidity, since I think it was outlawed in California in 1822. :)

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

The brims actually stiffen when wet. Good design.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

The Tilley hats are 1st quality in all respects, including the brim. I have the LMT8 which has mesh all the way up the sides. This mesh is more tightly knit than the airflow design which is more open but consists of a strip of mesh just below the crown.

As a onus to their functionality, They are great looking hats, IMHO.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm wishing they made one with a strip that folded up, exposing the mesh, but where you could fold the strip down, to keep rain and cold out. Maybe I should call the patent office………

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

Not the Legionarre one, a simple ballcap…

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Joe,

I use a 1.25 oz ($8.25) solution that transforms any Tilley hat to being able to keep the rain and cold out when required. See http://www.paradestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=102

You can optionally go up one size from the vendor's recommendation. This allows the softer brims of the Tilley's to retain their normal shape. I use the specified size for a very secure fit in high winds.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Now that's cool. Thanks Richard, I may just have to pick up one of these. So no issues getting them to stay against the hat brim?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Andrew,

There is absolutely no problem getting them to stay against the hat brim. The underside of brim section cover is elasticized.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I find that my canvas Tilley, which I dearly love, makes my fore head sweat a lot. The hat band isn't particularly absorbent. Sweat builds up and then drips down into my eyes and onto my sunglasses. Not good.

I switched to an el cheapo tourist cotton hat that I bought in Maui. It is cooler, lighter, and soaked up the water better, but it's the ugliest hat.

I recently bought a nylon Tilley that is cooler, lighter, and far quicker drying than my canvas Tilley. It seems to be doing the trick.

Just thought I'd share my experience in hopes that it might benefit someone.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Funny. I find the nylon hats to be too hot and sweaty, and the cotton ones to be far more comfortable.

I've worn Tilley's for years and really enjoy them. I don't even speak Canadian!

Michael

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

A shower cap can also cover mesh to keep rain out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools