Topic

2-person tent recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2-person tent recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I just posted a review of the Carbon Reflex 2 in the reviews section of this site. Check it out. I got mine on eBay for $355 and I'm very happy with it.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Hey – you might want to check out this thread here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19509&skip_to_post=153012#153012

Pretty good discussion of the differences and the pros and cons of each.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I keep reading good things about the Lunar Duo so I am considering giving this one a try. However, I have a few questions:

1. Should I get the ultralight or standard floor (my groundsheet is a <2 oz Polycro groundsheet by Gossamer Gear)?

2. Does the tent require seam sealing, and if so, how much weight does this add?

3. How much do the stakes weigh (I noticed you pay extra for these)?

4. How does all of this stack up against the Double Rainbow? The DR is 40 oz WITH stakes. I'm not sure about seam sealing though. That might 1-2 oz.

What do you all think?

I'm still considering the Cloudburst, but people are pushing me towards these two designs. Having a Hubba Hubba, I do like the dual vestibule design.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

1. The ultralight floor is fine. It's the same fabric as used in the floor of all tarptents (eg. double rainbow).

2. Yes it does require sealing, but is much easier than sealing the double rainbow. The main panel is a single piece of fabric so it doesn't need sealing. In a pinch you can get by without sealing and you won't get wet.

3. If you use 6" eastons then they weigh 10g each. The gold 8" eastons are more like 16g (use these on the main ridge line guy outs)

4. *Lots* of previous discussion on this if you do a google search. In fact a couple of entire threads devoted to it. The weight difference is minimal. Main differences are that the lunar duo is noticeably more spacious (52" width and vertical walls) but the double rainbow can be made a bit more wind resistant with trekking poles and extra tieouts. I had the lunar duo at one stage and decided it was not sturdy enough and too airy for use in alpine (but non-snow) regions. The double rainbow seemed too confined with sloping side walls and a narrower width. Having said that, there are many, many happy users of both.

You should also check out the Tarptent Scarp 2 and the Big Sky (R)Evolution 2P. They are both roomy and pretty sturdy, and both are double-walled. Both are about 10 ounces heavier though (around 52 ounces without stakes).

David Ure

@familyguy

On a recent trip where it rained for 4 days straight, a buddy used a Carbon Reflex 2. It is definitely bigger than my Rainbow but what was really nice was the double walled construction. He was watertight and yet had no condensation at all on the foot of his shelter. I was not as lucky on the condensation front (but of course, my shelter was a bit lighter). I was pretty impressed by the room v.s. weight of the MSR, given that it is from a 'mainstream' gear maker…..

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

David, if you prefer a double wall shelter, you should really check out the Scarp 2. It's quite light without the winter cross poles, yet still very sturdy and roomy.

David Ure

@familyguy

EJ – where are the pics?!?!?! Didn't you just receive yours?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools